OFFISH RIP ON SHUT UP! THREAD!

my brother is gay, i have nothing against gay people, just being just as "annoying"

Do you have any idea how many homophobic people have gay relatives? If you were actively against homophobia, you wouldn't use anything to do with being gay as an insult, joke or not.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm overreacting on my part. But here's the thing, everyone has a sore spot. And if someone struck a nerve at yours would you not call them out on it? I'm not going to keep at it to be honest but I am in the very least going to call them out on it and make it known that that kind of behavior isn't really acceptable. I'd say the same thing to anyone joke account or otherwise. It was mostly to alert the mods to how offended I was by it and maybe would make other people feel more comfortable to speak up about it. You do realize not every person on this board is a straight male? Gay bashing like this makes this place a hostile environment for others who have every right being here as well.

Definitely! Also, it's really easy for a straight person to say "it's just the internet" about something like this, but this shit is just perpetuating homophobia in general, and let me just say that being on the receiving end of it is anything but funny. People are still being killed and thrown in prison for their sexual orientation. Shit, people are sometimes verbally hostile about it even in Berkeley.

This thread may be ridiculously stupid, but at least it spurned people actually talking about this shit.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa dudes...ladies. everyone. this board must be on it's period (yes i'm a girl. it's just jokes) because everyone is getting SRS BZNS over the stupidest shit lately. like how my thread about the chick suing google maps turned into Jew Bashfest 2k10.

While I agree that this sort of stuff is immature, come on...it's the internet. If we could get friends in real life do you think we'd all be here so often? There are many different reasons people visit message boards- usually out of boredom. A majority of internet users feel the anonymity gives them a free pass to be a dick and that just pisses off the small population of genuinely nice people who represent as such online. You don't have to be friends with these assholes in real life so why care what they say/think?

Bigotry is everywhere, on the internet it's just words. Just let it go. Responding only fires the flames.

if this sort of thing is fun for you to debate, by all means go ahead and keep the thread going, but honestly if you contribute by responding you shouldn't be so upset when it keeps getting attention.

just sayin. the board needs a collective xanax.

You're missing the point entirely. Ignorant words come from ignorant thoughts. Imagine coming to this board to connect with a few people who you consider to be friends or aquaintances only to have to see ignorant shit and stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable because it's knocking who you are. It doesn't make things very fun now does it?

In theory, by the standards of the rules, this board is supposed to be a place where people from all walks of life feel comfortable posting. So basically if you see something ignorant that makes you feel uncomfortable you're just supposed to let people say it and continue to say stuff like it over and over again?

People who've never had to face any sort of adversity never really seem to truly understand (I've also had to deal with my fair share of racist attacks growing up as well for being mixed). I'm not gay but I'm genderqueer so it throws me into the LGBT category. And we have to stick together.

so where should we draw the line? is it okay to make fun of anyone for anything? say looks or music tastes or anything that might hurt them? I see a billion and one fat jokes, slut jokes, ugly jokes, etc on this board but no one cries about it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing with your point at all as it's completely true and ideally that's how a message board should be where people only talk about what the purpose of the board is- ie. vinyl. When "etc" threads like this one are opened up that's when people get too personal with topics and opinions.

personally i get online to talk to real people, some are assholes some aren't...I agree as a straight white person I may not see it exactly as clearly as I could if I had faced the same discrimination, but I've had adversity in my life and been ridiculed many times over many things. You don't have to be gay or a minority or even a woman to be offended by things on this board. Everything is offensive to someone.

There's a huge difference between making fun of music taste and making fun of a class of people who are systematically oppressed.

This goes beyond just "being offended." Acid washed jeans are offensive, homophobia/transphobia/racism/sexism is a little more serious that that. People are making fun of things that others' actual lives are in serious danger/drastically affected every single day for, and in doing so perpetuating a culture in which minorities are made to feel uncomfortable and terrible about who they are. Think about being in a gay person's shoes in this situation - you'd be quite literally killed for going to certain places in the world, the law discriminates against you, you're constantly told by society that you're not normal, exiled by family for it, have a much higher suicide rate, you can't even visit your significant other in the hospital if they're dying - and then we're not supposed to be upset when someone thinks that adding to the barrage of hatred against us is acceptable because it's a "joke?"

We get enough of that ignorance everywhere else in the world, I don't think it's too much to ask to feel comfortable with your sexual orientation or gender or race (etc) on a messageboard about vinyl records, many of which discussed/collected are supposed to be about the punk rock ideals of rising above this kind of shit.