Record stores in Western Canada

Congrats on getting married and welcome to God's country!

First of all forget about Lake Louise/Jasper/Banff for anything but honeymoon stuff. There is nothing there for music let alone records.

Edmonton - Octopus Ink. Very rare but expensive records on the wall. Tonnes of grind and crust. More used metal than you can flip through with a wife waiting. It is as punk as punk gets. Oh and rare seven inches are in cases you ask to see. Amazing stuff but some bootlegs in there. Know your business or you can get burned.

Calgary:

1. Sloth Records. Your wife will have hours to shop the boutiques on 17th Avenue so you can check it out with no pressure. Mainly new indie and punk. Lots of dvds and books too.

2. Melodiya. Attached to a comic book store so make it quick before your wife second guesses who she married. Insane amount of new vinyl. All types. Major label audiophile too. can take hours.

3. Recordland. Largest selection of used records you will ever see in your life. Aisles of used records six rows high. Cds, cassettes, 8 track, 78's. Must be seen to be believed.

Drop me a IM if you want more info.

Oh yeah. It's true. I have watched him ban people for life from the store in front of my eyes. It is terrifying.

Two rules, don't complain about the prices and two don't try to barter.

He prices punk, hardcore and metal high. That is just the way it is. Don't bother complaining about it or Armand or one of his sons will boot you out on your ass.

On the flip side, he treats me like a son and gives my girls lollypops everytime I go in with them.