Vibrams / Barefoot running

Ive gotten back into running and I just finished the (audio)book Born To Run and based on everything I have read and from what three of my friends have told me that running in Vibram Five Fingers is the way to go and I am thinking about getting a pair.

So my question is for anybody who has a pair, do you have a recommendation for a certain model or any advice on not buying them? I am looking for something in the distance of no more than 5 miles.

FYI, the book born to run was a good read even for people who are not interested in running.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefooting/barefoot_running.cfm

haven't tried any of these shoes and never will. i get the whole barefoot running, but its always arguing that "modern" running shoes caused bad mechanics. its more of the increase in popularity of jogging that brought in people who weren't athletes and were used to the mechanics of walking, heel to toe. just by very lightweight performance trainers that will last longer than the finger shoes and offer more protection. you can run with proper mechanics in any shoe.

haven't tried any of these shoes and never will. i get the whole barefoot running, but its always arguing that "modern" running shoes caused bad mechanics. its more of the increase in popularity of jogging that brought in people who weren't athletes and were used to the mechanics of walking, heel to toe. just by very lightweight performance trainers that will last longer than the finger shoes and offer more protection. you can run with proper mechanics in any shoe.

I was in track in high school and played soccer for 4 years after that and the last 4 years I have been pretty sedentary until I got back into running, so I think I have decent mechanics as I have never had a running injury, but my knees are starting to pop like crazy.

I already have a pair of asics and they work just fine and I haven't got hurt in them yet, and I don't think I heel slam, but who knows maybe I do.

The main reason why I am interested in them is that they are supposed to strengthen atrophied muscles and ligaments and also prevent injuries.

You said that regular running shoes last longer. Do you know this for a fact? From a few things I have read they say Vibrams last longer, but they are also pro-Vibram sites which I'm sure are biased.

I was in track in high school and played soccer for 4 years after that and the last 4 years I have been pretty sedentary until I got back into running, so I think I have decent mechanics as I have never had a running injury, but my knees are starting to pop like crazy.

I already have a pair of asics and they work just fine and I haven't got hurt in them yet, and I don't think I heel slam, but who knows maybe I do.

The main reason why I am interested in them is that they are supposed to strengthen atrophied muscles and ligaments and also prevent injuries.

You said that regular running shoes last longer. Do you know this for a fact? From a few things I have read they say Vibrams last longer, but they are also pro-Vibram sites which I'm sure are biased.

if you were in track and into sports (which is more sprinting than slow jogging) then you should have decent mechanics, or at least know how to.

like I said, I've never ran in them, but they are thinner soles. repeated impact usually wears down materials, soooo thicker the soles, longer they last? i run about 600 miles on a pair which is longer than normal, but its usually the stitching that breaks down before my soles. good mechanics reduces the amount of impact on the foot strike.

the benefits of reducing injury and strengthening wider range of muscles are the same exact benefits i have heard from barefoot running, and from running with proper mechanics. i think the Vibram shoes are total gimmicks, but run in what works for you.