Tell me about record stores in the Detroit area

I saw the list in the Official Record Stores thread and I am familiar with some of those stores but I am curious to hear more. I get the impression that there aren't any stores with a good selection of punk and hardcore, is that accurate? What is lacking in the area and what is there too much of?

Right now my boyfriend and I are considering moving down to the metro area (specifically considering Ferndale or Royal Oak) and I'm trying to get more of a feel in regards to whether or not we should move our store with us.

I live in Ann Arbor and there are 3 good ones here (Wazoo, Encore, and Underground Sounds). Don't know of any in Ferndale or Royal Oak but there are a couple good ones in Dearborn (Dearborn Music, Stormy Records).

I second all this info.

There used to be 2 good ones in the Royal Oak area, butb they both shut down around the same time over a year ago. There is a good one in Southfield too, but I heard a rumor that one also either moved or shut down....

PJs Records in Ann Arbor is also a great store to find older stuff. haven't been there in a while, but always packed to the ceiling with just about everything.

I've been to all the stores in Ann Arbor a bunch of times, I love being able to walk from one to another to another. It's weird to me because the area I am in now can barely support one store and the idea of multiple stores in the same area is weird to me and a mental block I'm trying to get over. I have a lot of people from Ann Arbor & Metro Detroit (generally punk/hardcore kids) come into my shop up here and say how they really wish they had something like this where they live and I'm trying to figure out what it is that we have that other stores down there are lacking.

• 7 months later...
I live in Ann Arbor and there are 3 good ones here (Wazoo, Encore, and Underground Sounds). Don't know of any in Ferndale or Royal Oak but there are a couple good ones in Dearborn (Dearborn Music, Stormy Records).

I second all this info.

There used to be 2 good ones in the Royal Oak area, butb they both shut down around the same time over a year ago. There is a good one in Southfield too, but I heard a rumor that one also either moved or shut down....

PJs Records in Ann Arbor is also a great store to find older stuff. haven't been there in a while, but always packed to the ceiling with just about everything.

I just thought I would add in right here, that I was in PJs the other day. I was looking for a Funkadelic record (Maggot Brain, if you were wondering). And the guy went on and on about seeing P-Funk in the 70s, and he excitedly told me one of the best things I've ever heard come out of the mouth of a 60-some year old white guy.

"Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On IS A MASTERPIECE OF SEXY FUNK."

So of course, I describe everything as being a masterpiece of sexy funk now.