Charles Manson "Air" LP: 76th birthday pressing

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the "Classic Albums" (or whatever it's called on VH1) about Petty's "Damn The Torpedoes" and the producer was talking about how well he got along with the band.

He said something like, "They showed up with demos for Refugee and Here Comes That Girl and I knew right away we would get along. I would get along with anyone who showed up with those two songs... Except maybe Charles Manson."

I support Magic Bullet, I support someone being able to release this stuff, and I support someone being able to buy it.

That being said, it's all still in very poor taste. This dude had people kill a pregnant woman. A fucking pregnant woman. They cut the baby out of her womb. People will try to say, "Oh, it's not about that, it's about the music. I like the music." but he was Chuck Manson, a guy working the fry station at Burger King and not Charles Manson the famed killer, no one would give a shit about this music. It's mediocre music that people only want to hear because of their innate morbidity.

I agree with you. couldn't have said it better

I don't understand how anyone can support this album (or any that he has put out), yet be repulsed by that picture. Make no mistake, he WAS responsible for what happened. I don't always believe in the politics of the bands I support. Hell, I think Mumia Abu Jamal should spend the rest of his life in prison yet I still listen to RATM. "Charlie" was sadistic and led a small cult that commited some of the most heinous murders in modern American history. You can't comment about supporting his music and get upset when someone posts pics of his crimes.

I don't understand how anyone can support this album (or any that he has put out), yet be repulsed by that picture. Make no mistake, he WAS responsible for what happened. I don't always believe in the politics of the bands I support. Hell, I think Mumia Abu Jamal should spend the rest of his life in prison yet I still listen to RATM. "Charlie" was sadistic and led a small cult that commited some of the most heinous murders in modern American history. You can't comment about supporting his music and get upset when someone posts pics of his crimes.

Why not?

I can watch Chinatown and enjoy that movie a lot but I'd still be pissed if somebody tried to make me watch a video of Polanski raping a child.

The art and the artist are not the same thing, you can enjoy one while hating the other, and appreciation of one is not tacit approval of the other.

The art and the artist are not the same thing, you can enjoy one while hating the other, and appreciation of one is not tacit approval of the other.

Okay, so I only get on the boards nowadays at work using the porboards app. It's convienant and passes the time at night when we're not busy. I check the latest posts tab and this is the first time I saw this thread. Not trying to beat a dead horse here. Was distracted when typing my previous post and after re-reading noticed that my point was vague. I agree with what you're saying. I tried to illustrate that with the RATM example. My point was that this was a notoriously bad crime and people are still very much offended by it. You should expect criticism when showing support for his art on a public forum. No matter what medium is used.

whoooo caaaarreesssss if you dont like him, dont click the fucking thread with his name in the title.