Awesome Cancer Conspiracy review in new Decibel

Guest chassit

Guest chassit

The Cancer Conspiracy 8

Ω

Radar/Gilead

The spirit of Tesla’s radio, not Marconi’s

After the Cancer Conspiracy recorded their classic The Audio Medium in 2002, strange tidings befell the Burlington, VT trio. Though the album was an instrumental work, its concept and liner notes took to task long-held rumors of the government suppressing the cure for cancer and loosely tying that idea to the backroom deals, payola and shitty music of commercial radio. Now, I’m not blaming anyone in particular for Big Wheel Recreation (their former label and one-time home to Piebald, Jimmy Eat World and At the Drive-In) going belly up, the band’s van and gear disappearing with no trace after a NYC gig in ’03, the three years of legal limbo this album has been stuck in or who scheduled them to play at the same time—and be drowned out by—Merauder at the last outdoor Hellfest in Syracuse ’02, but did the band get too close to something they shouldn’t have? The truth is out there and we here at Decibel don’t have answers.

After three years, the final chapter of Burlington’s most involved sons—who’ve since broken up (thanks, American government... oops, did I say that?)—is finally available. And, in addition to instrumental and math-rock mainstays, man, was someone listening to a lot of Rush during the writing process. Not classic Rush like everyone in Canada is required by law to be addicted to, but shit from the Presto and Roll the Bones years: “Stick It Out”; “Leave That Thing Alone”; “Superconductor.” If you don’t know what I’m going on about, think Cave In’s Jupiter album with a black hole of echo-y effects, ominous keyboards and the occasional saxophone.

“II” contains a glorious clipped and halting riff, accented and layered with shimmering distortion, moody bass lines and prog-errific drumming, while “IV” could collectively kick the ass of Sigur Rós and their fanbase. “V” is the Don Caballero song Don Caballero almost wrote on their last album—mathematical and fiery chord changes, sustained arpeggios, jazz-breakdowns with enough nerdy sensibility to get sizzling-between-the-sheets librarians doing microfiche searches on the history of this criminally underrated and sadly missed band. Seek out this final document of one of instrumental music’s most treasured bands… while you can. —Kevin Stewart-Panko

http://www.gileadmedia.net