Bands people laud more than listen to: Sonic Youth

vivsavage

Lightning Bolt and Black Dice are two more bands that I think people like to say they listen to more than listen to.

I can't stand Black Dice but for some reason I love Lightning Bolt. maybe it's because they scare the hell out of my cats.

Radiohead though? God, I love that band. Pablo Honey doesn't count though.

I've been listening to Converge since sixth grade. I know some people that think I'm joking when I say I love them.

The Locust is awesome if you're in the mood for them. I usually just end up zoning into the keyboard rhythms, it's perfect ADD music.

Lightning Bolt is also like The Locust. Usually I'll listen to a song and be content but One day in school I had them playing on my ipod on repeat all day and once you actually listen to the album a couple times you can get parts of songs stuck in your head easily.

You either get the White Stripes or you don't. If your take away from them is horrible drumming, its not your thing. Jack seems to have a specific vision and he sticks to it. Honestly, I've heard pretty much all they've done and I can't say I dislike a single song. Jack can shred like no other so I pretty much figure if he wanted a better drummer he'd either drum himself or find a better drummer. Based on that I just ignore Meg's style and try to understand what Jack is getting at with the Stripes.

I'm with Dante on Radiohead, some of their new stuff seems like its out there just to be out there. I love, love, love Fake Plastic Trees and a bunch of others off the Bends. Some stuff off OK Computer but Kid A and Amnesiac lost me.

none of those bands reach the popularity of the misfits, or dead kennedys.

how many mall kids, who arent even into music have shirts by the bands?

scene kids, nu metal kids, hot topic kids, goth kids.....even gangsters now are into it.

the vast vast vast majority dont listen to them and cant even name one or two albums by the bands.

Yeah dude, the misfits are definately one of these bands. Unbelievable some of the people you see sporting thier logo.

Does it make me super cool that I actually listen to almost every band in this thread? haha.

My friend wanted me to go work out with him at Lifetime, which is weird because I don't work out. So I'm just doing whatever my friend does there and I see this buff ass guy sporting a Misfit tattoo. I just didn't think he was into them, you know. I was gonna go challenge him and ask him all these questions about them that a fan should know, but I didn't want my ass handed to me, so I didn't.

Guest kingbuzzo

I agree with this. I love Sonic Youth but really don't think that most people who claim to be into them listen to their albums, or at least anything but the few that give every music writer a boner. I'm more into their early noisey stuff.

I agree with a lot of the observations though. Being a Melvins fan, I've encountered a ton of people who claim to like the Melvins and maybe own an album or two but never the albums that are challenging. It's always a copy of Houdini or something.

Lightning Bolt and Black Dice are two more bands that I think people like to say they listen to more than listen to.

I can't stand Black Dice but for some reason I love Lightning Bolt. maybe it's because they scare the hell out of my cats.

Radiohead though? God, I love that band. Pablo Honey doesn't count though.

I genuinely enjoy Lightning Bolt and LOVE Radiohead.