VC: Canada

Guest errolwest

Guest errolwest
awww shut up. i dont complain about politics. i dont care.

this is literally the stupidest thing ive read all day. please try not to be so ignorant. the outcome of this(or ANY federal/provincial election) effects you on a million different levels. dont be an idiot, inform yourself, then go out and vote next time, please.

Guest errolwest
5,832,401 votes cast for the Conservative Party divided by 34,278,400 Canadians (as of January 1st 2011 according to Statistics Canada) times 100 (to find the percentage) = 18.06% of Canadians voted Stephen Harper into a majority government.

meaning, 81.94% of Canadians DIDN'T vote for the Harper Conservative Government.

Does your math account for all of the people under the voting age, or even people who can't vote strictly because of physical or personal circumstance?

The numbers can be twisted whatever way you want to make it look like an unfavourable decision by the voting public.

If every person in Canada who is eligible to vote actually voted, it is proven to within a percentage or two both ways that the outcome would be pretty much the same.

I can understand you are bitter with the outcome just the same way I would be upset if either Layton or Ignatieff had won the election. The mere thought of Jack Layton as Prime Minister makes me quiver.

The Liberals don't have a hope in hell until Justin Trudeau decides to step into the ring and take over the leadership of the party.

it doesnt, but just think about that statistic, regardless of what you mentioned, does it seem fair that the conservatives should win a majority government with only 18% of the countries vote?

also, stephen harper is a criminal, i dont know how many times i can say that, he has blatantly broken the law multiple times, and when confronted about it, his answer was "the Canadian people dont care" he does not have the peoples best intrests at heart, and i think basically, we are all fucked.

Does your math account for all of the people under the voting age, or even people who can't vote strictly because of physical or personal circumstance?

The numbers can be twisted whatever way you want to make it look like an unfavourable decision by the voting public.

If every person in Canada who is eligible to vote actually voted, it is proven to within a percentage or two both ways that the outcome would be pretty much the same.

I can understand you are bitter with the outcome just the same way I would be upset if either Layton or Ignatieff had won the election. The mere thought of Jack Layton as Prime Minister makes me quiver.

The Liberals don't have a hope in hell until Justin Trudeau decides to step into the ring and take over the leadership of the party.

it doesnt, but just think about that statistic, regardless of what you mentioned, does it seem fair that the conservatives should win a majority government with only 18% of the countries vote?

So if 18% voted for the Tories, what is the percentage who voted for the other parties, what is the percentage of population that was eligible to vote but chose not to, and the percentage who are just plain old ineligible to vote? There is definite shock value to seeing 18% until it is actually broken down.

The NDP received the second largest amount of popular votes and the total voting percentage based on your equation is 13.15%.

It's safe to say that we can agree to disagree on who we prefer to be running our country.

I also appreciate that someone can have an honest opinion and conversation about their government without saying stupid things like, "I don't care, they're all liars/cheats/crooks".

Guest errolwest

So if 18% voted for the Tories, what is the percentage who voted for the other parties, what is the percentage of population that was eligible to vote but chose not to, and the percentage who are just plain old ineligible to vote? There is definite shock value to seeing 18% until it is actually broken down.

The NDP received the second largest amount of popular votes and the total voting percentage based on your equation is 13.15%.

It's safe to say that we can agree to disagree on who we prefer to be running our country.

I also appreciate that someone can have an honest opinion and conversation about their government without saying stupid things like, "I don't care, they're all liars/cheats/crooks".

i completely agree with what your saying, but mostly what im getting at is, we are in serious need of electoral reform. if you can win a majority with only 18% of canadians voting, thats just not right.

Guest errolwest
Does Canada have primaries or any variation of that?

theres basically just one election. and no primaries, there is an advanced polling option for those who cant make the election though.