External Hard Drive Help

Try it again at home on a different USB port. Port might be fucked up, or the drive could be going and just happened to work at work. I'd recommand taking all the files off it if it works and try to run a hard drvie diagnostic tool (can usually be found on whatever brand the HDD is site).

You might. If you can't get it to show elsewhere, try something like Get Data Back (http://www.runtime.org). Free download, and if it can find your files, you pay $80 for it. A few years back, I used it to recover some files, and it worked like a charm.

i might need to try this one my dead external. fell off my cpu too many times and hit the damn ground. i'm sure the platter is messed on it but worth a shot i guess. i took it out of the case and tried throwing it in my case too but it didn't fire up at all. i wish i knew how to recover my own hdd's. i need to get skills, then open that business. totally secure and confidential hdd/data recovery. i always worry about a place ratting me out for all the mp3's on my hdd so i haven't done any data recovery options.