What sounds creepy to you?

I'm working on a new ambient horror album (think Silent Hill soundtrack or something) and I want to try to take a different approach sample-wise on it than I did on my last album in this genre. The first album I did relied heavily on samples of

, and some other stuff and I want to branch out and experiment more with it.

This is where I'd like to ask you guys what you personally find to be really creepy/unsettling sounding, the more abstract (preferably not too percussive, think more droning/atmospheric/ethereal sounds, nothing sharp and instant) the better. I find that sounds that are harder to recognize work better. I heavily resample/slow/effect samples when I work on this stuff so honestly if you think it might sound creepy chances are it will be when I'm done with it. I figure getting suggestions from other people for it will actually help me improve, I don't want to make something too similar to the first even though it's sort of a sequel.

I've always thought really bassy rumbling hums created a creepy atmosphere in movies. Almost like the sound planes make flying overhead when it's overcast and the air is thick or heavy machinery running in the distance. It wouldn't lead any of the pieces most likely, but would help create an unsettling backdrop. Not that you'd use this idea, but maybe just some inspiration; I saw this band Kentucky Fried Doom that played really sludgy doom (obviously) with a mic'ed deep fryer running the entire set to create a really fucked up ambient noise.

Hmm, I would have to say, trying using an e - bow on a guitar or a voilin bow. They make for some very drone esque type sounds and using minor with accidentals while doing so works as well. Also if you can find a way to replicate a rhodes keyboard type sound that too would be fantastic.

Also if you can find a way to replicate a rhodes keyboard type sound that too would be fantastic.

I've got a few Rhodes VSTs, I love the sound of rhodes haha.

Anyways since I didn't really link it, here's the first album I did. I know most of you probably won't be too stoked to jam this but just so you have an idea of what I'm doing. http://gearsoftheapparatus.bandcamp.com/album/perditions-wake

(what's up free wifi near work I just found)