Austin Texas, What to do?

So my wife and I are going to Austin the last weekend of June and I am wondering a couple of things:

1) besides getting shitafced at night, what can and should we do?

2) If one flies into the Austin airport does one need to rent a car, or can we basically public transportation it the whole weekend

3) what are the good record stores

4) Where should we stay, and I mean what area, not hotel.

Thanks

So my wife and I are going to Austin the last weekend of June and I am wondering a couple of things:

2) If one flies into the Austin airport does one need to rent a car, or can we basically public transportation it the whole weekend

Thanks

1. there are tons of things to do, but without a car, it can be a bit of a stretch.. you can visit the capital, the university grounds are quite nice, shopping on congress among the little mom & pop places.. there are tons of shows, depending on what you like...right now june is a bit far away for shows so usually everyone knows a month in advance who's playing and at what club.. there are tons of good restaurants to eat at too...

2 If you can afford it, rent a car. that way you can go visit places in the austin area that are way too south, or way too north, or west...depending on what you want to do..

3. Record stroes are a bit of a stretch, as none are in vacinity of each other except 2. Cheapo Records/cd's/dvd's is a cool place. you can find just about everything there, and sometimes really cheap too. it's almost all used cd's/records/ dvd's. i have found a good chunk of stuff there for next to nothing...

Right down the street is also WATERLOO records which caters to the indie crowd, but you can find anything from JOHN ZORN to COLISEUM to BRIGHT EYES. Everything is there, but it's not quite cheap..well the cd's aren't. Records are pretty good price for new stuff and used..

End of An Ear is small but has really cool stuff too, as far as international and indie/punk. and the guys who work there are pretty fucking nice and can answer any quesitons you have for just about anything.

Sound on Sound caters more to the punk rock crowd, but has alot of old classic rock among other stuff...and it's reasonably priced.

There are a few more like ANTONES which caters to the country/blues/folk genre of music. and Backspine (which i've never been, so i can't say anything about it.. I heard you can find cool stuff there though.

4. if you can afford it, stay downtown...or across the street on congress. it's on a main bus route if you decide on taking the bus places. and it's in walking distance to downtown. Also any downtown hotel would do....stay away from THE FOUR SEASONS or the DRISCOLL (unless you have the cash to blow).

If you have any more questions, you can contact me closer to june and i can give you more details regarding hotels or whatnot.

What are you visiting austin for anyway?

Yea, UT is pretty cheap compared to alot of other universities. and for it's size you can't beat the price..the city however is horrible if you have allergies. so if you decide on moving, be aware that there is a high content of mold in the air....well that and the heat...

other than that it's a very nice city.

north/west from the airport...if you're taking a cab (which i suggest you do) it'll probably cost you around $20 to get to the downtown area if you have a hotel there. if you're closer to the actual airport, then it's cheaper..but why would you stay far from downtown? downtown is a good central spot to be in..you can take the bus to the university, or walk to the capital, or walk down sixth to lamar and hit up 2 record stores, a book store, and you can eat at WHOLE FOODS. or you can walk and eat bbq at STUBBS or IRON WORKS. I always suggest ARTZ ribhouse because it's cheap and good bbq, but it's about 10 minutes from downtown in a car...and it's near one of the other record stores too.

Thanks

1. there are tons of things to do, but without a car, it can be a bit of a stretch.. you can visit the capital, the university grounds are quite nice, shopping on congress among the little mom & pop places.. there are tons of shows, depending on what you like...right now june is a bit far away for shows so usually everyone knows a month in advance who's playing and at what club.. there are tons of good restaurants to eat at too...

2 If you can afford it, rent a car. that way you can go visit places in the austin area that are way too south, or way too north, or west...depending on what you want to do..

3. Record stroes are a bit of a stretch, as none are in vacinity of each other except 2. Cheapo Records/cd's/dvd's is a cool place. you can find just about everything there, and sometimes really cheap too. it's almost all used cd's/records/ dvd's. i have found a good chunk of stuff there for next to nothing...

Right down the street is also WATERLOO records which caters to the indie crowd, but you can find anything from JOHN ZORN to COLISEUM to BRIGHT EYES. Everything is there, but it's not quite cheap..well the cd's aren't. Records are pretty good price for new stuff and used..

End of An Ear is small but has really cool stuff too, as far as international and indie/punk. and the guys who work there are pretty fucking nice and can answer any quesitons you have for just about anything.

Sound on Sound caters more to the punk rock crowd, but has alot of old classic rock among other stuff...and it's reasonably priced.

There are a few more like ANTONES which caters to the country/blues/folk genre of music. and Backspine (which i've never been, so i can't say anything about it.. I heard you can find cool stuff there though.

4. if you can afford it, stay downtown...or across the street on congress. it's on a main bus route if you decide on taking the bus places. and it's in walking distance to downtown. Also any downtown hotel would do....stay away from THE FOUR SEASONS or the DRISCOLL (unless you have the cash to blow).

If you have any more questions, you can contact me closer to june and i can give you more details regarding hotels or whatnot.

What are you visiting austin for anyway?

I've had some good finds at Waterloo. D4, Crime in Stereo, Shook Ones, Off With Their Heads. Cheapos is pretty neat, too. I wanted to go to Sound on Sound but when I went over there it was closed.

Go to the Alamo Movie Theatre - they'll serve you beer there.

Beerland is an awesome venue (go for karaoke).

Also, public transit is cheap ($1 for 24 hours with transfer) and there are free street cars too.

Eat Migas when you can.

As for record shopping, I found fuck all there. Best of luck.

Go to the Alamo Movie Theatre - they'll serve you beer there.

Beerland is an awesome venue (go for karaoke).

Also, public transit is cheap ($1 for 24 hours with transfer) and there are free street cars too.

Eat Migas when you can.

As for record shopping, I found fuck all there. Best of luck.

see, i always take the ALAMO for granted for when people come to austin for the 1st time.. I need to remember that. Yea, public transpo is rather cheap.

• 2 months later...
Buy/rent/steal a boat. Go to hippie hollow.

this is a bad idea. unless you're a nudist. if you're going to just go see Naked People, then don't be suprised when you see nothing but middle aged nudists..it's not that thrilling..

All i can say is RENT A CAR and stay near downtown. preferred in downtown persae. or on barton springs at the embassy or something..you might want to check online for cheap places to stay.. if you get a car, then you can getsmoething a little further away in south austin or somewhat.. most of the places in south austin are pretty safe... it's the ones in north austin that can be shady... PM me and i can find out some more info if need be..

Definately rent a car, it's fucking HOT!!! right now..

I think La Quienta is pretty reasonable downtown, and it's about 3 blocks from the capital and 5 blocks (7 minute walk) from the red river/6th street area. If you want, if you rent a car, i can probably take you around and show you some sites if you want..let me know and i'll get the time off.. it's not a biggie... i love showing people this city...especially the places that are hidden and not quite touristy.

let me know