FSF: Where Are They Now?

kriss

As Andrew mentioned above, that tour was more a set of shows in their home state before playing at Bamboozle, certainly not cross country or extensive.

Just to play devil's advocate: it could be argued that DC's success only took the rise it did from the clubs to the stadiums when he added a consistent band and when his records went from mostly acoustic to full band.

I admit, it was the charm and appeal of [what I heard it dubbed many years ago] his "campfire sing-a-long" shows early on that put him over. But when he did the MTV unplugged, he was accompanied by a band. And ever since the "A Mark, A Mission..." record, he hasn't toured extensively as just an acoustic act (I know he did a few tours, but they weren't nearly the length as the shows that were paying the bills; they opened for U2 at one point in 05!).

FSF, given the right push that T&N is so clearly capable of doing for certain artists, they could have shined him as the handsome front man and FSF could have been the next big thing.

*This is all predicated on the fact that the band continue to make great music and Chris would have written a lot of those tearjerker ballads to swoon 14-year-old girls and mid-twenty-something guys.

I can see this viewpoint and I agree that they could have been pushed - thing is, wasn't Chris already out the door or near to it by the time TMID was released? Maybe that timing was the lynchpin in T&N not giving them that push.

For me personally, I stopped paying attention to Dashboard somewhere in 2004 and not because he released anything I didn't like, but just because my interest in his music had gone as far as it could have so from my view (albeit one where I didn't pay attention to sales numbers, show attendance and such), I always figured his popularity post Mark, Mission, Brand had taken a steady dip. Is he still as big now as was in the mid 2000's?

You're right. Matter of fact, I think I read an announcement on the day TMID was released (in 2001, ten years ago!) that Chris had left the band. I'm simply positing that had that not occurred, FSF could have been on equal level with DC as far as popularity or bigger.

And, yes, I think 06-07 was probably the height of DC. In 2006, DC played a song on the Today Show, during the summer music thing those shows do. That's the big time, mainstream right there.

As Andrew mentioned above, that tour was more a set of shows in their home state before playing at Bamboozle, certainly not cross country or extensive.

Just to play devil's advocate: it could be argued that DC's success only took the rise it did from the clubs to the stadiums when he added a consistent band and when his records went from mostly acoustic to full band.

I admit, it was the charm and appeal of [what I heard it dubbed many years ago] his "campfire sing-a-long" shows early on that put him over. But when he did the MTV unplugged, he was accompanied by a band. And ever since the "A Mark, A Mission..." record, he hasn't toured extensively as just an acoustic act (I know he did a few tours, but they weren't nearly the length as the shows that were paying the bills; they opened for U2 at one point in 05!).

FSF, given the right push that T&N is so clearly capable of doing for certain artists, they could have shined him as the handsome front man and FSF could have been the next big thing.

*This is all predicated on the fact that the band continue to make great music and Chris would have written a lot of those tearjerker ballads to swoon 14-year-old girls and mid-twenty-something guys.

I can see this viewpoint and I agree that they could have been pushed - thing is, wasn't Chris already out the door or near to it by the time TMID was released? Maybe that timing was the lynchpin in T&N not giving them that push.

For me personally, I stopped paying attention to Dashboard somewhere in 2004 and not because he released anything I didn't like, but just because my interest in his music had gone as far as it could have so from my view (albeit one where I didn't pay attention to sales numbers, show attendance and such), I always figured his popularity post Mark, Mission, Brand had taken a steady dip. Is he still as big now as was in the mid 2000's?

You're right. Matter of fact, I think I read an announcement on the day TMID was released (in 2001, ten years ago!) that Chris had left the band. I'm simply positing that had that not occurred, FSF could have been on equal level with DC as far as popularity or bigger.

And, yes, I think 06-07 was probably the height of DC. In 2006, DC played a song on the Today Show, during the summer music thing those shows do. That's the big time, mainstream right there.