Jailbreaking Frustrations

Have an iphone 3gs. Figured I would finally jailbreak it. Have no SHSH blobs or whatever, but thought I would try and set the firmware back to 3.3 to use jailbreakme. I put my phone into recovery mode, but couldn't get the firmware. Hours spent with my phone in recovery mode googling itunes error codes to try and fix them (3194, 2005, 20, couple more...). Everytime I got through one, another one would come up.

In the end, only thing I could do to get my phone working again was a normal restore through itunes. Kept my contacts and pictures, but all my apps are gone now (not that I can't get them back), and now I have firmware 5.0.1 so I will have to wait for someone to figure out what to do with that to jailbreak it.

Is this normal now (since Apple is doing whatever they can to prevent you from jailbreaking)? Anyone have a method they have used recently that works?

Well, you can only jailbreak as far backwards as you have SHSH blobs for. so you trying to restore back to 3.3 will never work since you don't have the SHSH blobs to bypass apples authenticaiton.

I was trying to change the host that itunes connects to. This isn't possible? I got passed the apple authentication error (itunes error 3194) but then hit a slew of other ones until I gave up.