THE DFA Thread (Previously Rapture Sail Away PO)

Yeah i understand that usually white label means test pressing but it seems like there are a good amount of white label DFA records out there for cheap. Usually test pressings consist of 5-20 actual copies. Wasnt sure if white label meant something different in DFA Terminology.

There are a bunch of different kinds of White labels with LCD. The ones where they just stamped the white label are usually the first/test pressings

A Test Pressing, by the nature is of its name, is a record pressed to test the quality of the finished product before pressing lots of records intended for sale. Hence, not so many are needed, so you typically have a few per pressing.

I see White Labels (especially ones from DFA) more as promos.

A Test Pressing, by the nature is of its name, is a record pressed to test the quality of the finished product before pressing lots of records intended for sale. Hence, not so many are needed, so you typically have a few per pressing.

I see White Labels (especially ones from DFA) more as promos.

Yeah, thats kind of what Ive taken away from this discussion. Its more of a white label release than an actual test pressing.

This thread kind of explains it a bit more on how DFA does it.

http://forums.dfarecords.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=60302&highlight=rare

So its more like a very limited first press (say /100) than an actual test press? Think i got it down now. Pretty confusing, especially when the word test press is used in the description, even though its not what you would normally think a test press would be.

This thread kind of explains it a bit more on how DFA does it.

http://forums.dfarecords.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=60302&highlight=rare

So its more like a very limited first press (say /100) than an actual test press? Think i got it down now. Pretty confusing, especially when the word test press is used in the description, even though its not what you would normally think a test press would be.

While I dont know that they are definitely test pressings. I am pretty sure that their are probably less than 50 in existence.

We don't really get separate test pressings and white labels. We usually have the plant run off 50-100 to sometimes 200-300 (for instance, with LCD albums) white label copies, which function both as test pressings and promo copies. This only applies to stuff pressed in the US - for anything from the UK (you can tell because it comes in a black disco sleeve) we usually only get the traditional 3-5 test pressings.

We don't really get separate test pressings and white labels. We usually have the plant run off 50-100 to sometimes 200-300 (for instance, with LCD albums) white label copies, which function both as test pressings and promo copies. This only applies to stuff pressed in the US - for anything from the UK (you can tell because it comes in a black disco sleeve) we usually only get the traditional 3-5 test pressings.

Nice thanks for the info

i don't care at all, but i'm curious - the holy ghost! description says that they are numbered, but i didn't see a number on mine. am i stupid?

also i'll probably grab those benoit and sergio releases

do you have the first or second press?

I dont have either though I am gonna buy the second. Think the first was out of 500 and not numbered. The second is out of 300 and is numbered.

i don't care at all, but i'm curious - the holy ghost! description says that they are numbered, but i didn't see a number on mine. am i stupid?

also i'll probably grab those benoit and sergio releases

do you have the first or second press?

I dont have either though I am gonna buy the second. Think the first was out of 500 and not numbered. The second is out of 300 and is numbered.

Youre correct about the first pressing being non-numbered /500. Dont have the 2nd pressing but know its /300

I just took a look at the pressing in the brown sleeve, and I guess the first 100 were numbered and the last 200 weren't.

None of the original pressing was numbered.

Oops.

Also - a heads-up - we'll be listing the LCD - Yr City's A Sucker white label, a cheapo Tribulations 12"+7"+cd pack, and some other nonsense this friday. Anyone have any requests?

I just took a look at the pressing in the brown sleeve, and I guess the first 100 were numbered and the last 200 weren't.

Oops.

Also - a heads-up - we'll be listing the LCD - Yr City's A Sucker white label, a cheapo Tribulations 12"+7"+cd pack, and some other nonsense this friday. Anyone have any requests?

Do you have any Holy Ghost! White Label pressings available? Or am I an idiot and those just do not exist? Personally I'd love anything Holy Ghost! except for the LP which I already own. Also, keep it coming with the LCD white labels, of course those will always be welcomed!!!

Oops.

Also, just checked your FB, is it Thursday or Friday that you will be adding stuff to the online store? Conflicting reports here, haha.

Oops.

Lookin forwardf to the winter cleaning I get geeky about my white labels :P. Any Losing my edge white labels laying around ?