Game Of Thrones season 2! POSSIBLE DEADLY SPOILERS

Link is dead, what was said? #rhymes

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/top....done-with-her /

Thread makes some very good observations about Cat. Kind of wish I hadn't read it becuase it's making me enjoy the TV show less and less...

more or less that HBO has royally fucked up her character and put her into a more traditional woman's role because that's what people want to see. robb doesn't have any POV chapters in the books, but he's a fan favorite on the show and they're giving him all her lines that show her political saavy, etc. instead of him being a somewhat petulent man-child king trying to prove that he can do things on his own without mommy's help, they're making him into a much stronger character and downplaying her role/influence.

in the books, if he would have listened to her advice, the red wedding wouldn't have happened, and the entire stark family wouldn't have, you know, had most of that bad crap happen to them.

i.e. in the books, catelyn suggested trying to form an alliance with renly, and in the show, robb did. she also wasn't entirely opposed to an alliance with the greyjoys like in the tv show; she just opposed sending theon as an envoy to treat with them.

well, thats why the books are the books and the show is the show. Also, please try to avoid spoilers. I haven't read the books and im trying to enjoy the show for what it is.

being that it's such a character driven show, changing the role/personality of one or two main characters could drastically alter a lot of things. it's like the butterfly effect. with swords.

also, like TWD, since the source material has been out for so long, it's kind of expected that in a thread like this people might discuss plot points in the book vs. the show. i try to make vague non-spoilerish statements, but sometimes it's difficult.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/top....done-with-her /

Thread makes some very good observations about Cat. Kind of wish I hadn't read it becuase it's making me enjoy the TV show less and less...

Site still doesn't work for me, weird. I'll try again later.

My little sister came to visit last week and I gave her the first four paperbacks. She was hooked that same evening!

I haven't seen the season 2 premier yet, but I'm not surprised that they're altering characters and plot details. The thread linked above provides some good reasoning as to why the changes were necessary. I would rather if they stuck to the books, but that's probably only because I'm already beholden to the written version. Most GRRM virgins seem to be really enjoying the show, and a lot of "anti-fantasy" jags are starting to come around as well.

It doesn't make a huge difference to me because

SPOILER!!!

everybody dies!

I had never even heard of it. Not much of a fantasy person, but the show got me hooked.

Same here. I don't do the book thing because I can't read.

Seriously though, I just prefer to waste time in other ways (records and playing music mainly). :P

Spoilers!

Episode one wasn't very eventful, but I really liked the scene with Cersei and Petyr and I thought they cast Davos really well. Davos is the Ron Swanson of Westeros, and his nerdy son is Ben Wyatt.

I didn't really mind the difference in the Catelyn/Robb storyline because they're both doomed! It seems like the writers are trying to make both of them more likeable, because they were both severely flawed in the books. I think it's good that viewers can grow more attached to Robb and Catelyn, and it will create more of a juxtaposition between Catelyn's motherly instincts and Lady Stoneheart's cold cruelty.

I was more upset that Tommen wasn't as roly-poly as I pictured him. His cheeks need to be as pinchable as Joffery's are slappable!

I also watched episode two and it seemed more exciting.

Yoren is a fucking badass.

I really didn't like the final scene in episode two, though. I don't know how they're going to resolve it, and it seemed pretty unnecessary.

P.S.

Allison and Scott, did either of y'all finish ADWD yet so i can talk about events that transpired in that book?

we both did!

I just finished reading ASOS on Monday. Seven hells that was intense! I powered through the first three books pretty fast and I'm now taking a little bit of a break. So far I've only read the prologue of AFFC.

In your opintion, how did the last two books stand up to your expectations? I've tried to avoid spoiling myself too badly but I can't help but notice that the average review for these last two books on amazon is no where near what they were for the first three. I know that the amount of time it took GRRM to release them probably made people a little more critical of him since they were made to wait soooo long. I've also seen statements where people have just given up with the series; that they got part way through ADWD and just put the book down for good. Are they just over-reacting? ???