Cross-country moving methods- help?

So I'm looking to make a 2,200 mile move this summer and moving trucks are just out of the question, the truck+gas is outrageous. Anybody have any alternatives to suggest?

So far the cheapest I've found is U-haul U-box and a place called Mini-movers, both are where you load up a small storage unit and they move the stuff for you. These are looking like my best bet but am still looking for anything cheaper.

Thoughts?

Apologies if this is already a thread ::)

im glad you started this, because im gonna need similar info

Ha glad I could help! U-haul said for our move it would be $1600 after taxes/insurance fees.

Mini-movers said $1270, but they actually quote you by how much stuff you have so I'm sketched out by the idea that they might say "Oh, this is more of a load than we quoted you for", and then possibly bump the price up. But I need to call and ask more details to know for sure

my buddy used a place called PODS (http://www.pods.com/default.aspx) when he moved from atlanta to chicago this past year. couldn't have gone smoother for him, and he didn't seem too upset about pricing. check them out maybe? seems like a similar option to U-Haul. maybe one is cheaper?

my buddy used a place called PODS (http://www.pods.com/default.aspx) when he moved from atlanta to chicago this past year. couldn't have gone smoother for him, and he didn't seem too upset about pricing. check them out maybe? seems like a similar option to U-Haul. maybe one is cheaper?

Yeah I actually called them for a quote and when I told them we were only moving about 2 bedroom's worth, the guy stopped and said PODS was the wrong way to go and that they were for bigger moves, didn't even give me a price!

I did the whole move across country thing. Philly to SoCal. We packed up a car with our essentials and put all other furniture and stuff in storage. Once we have stable jobs, well get an apartment and then get our stuff shipped. It's crazy not having all of your stuff but kinda cool at the same time. We are doing a room share now and bought a futon off craigslist and a few other furniture things until we get a real place.

I did the whole move across country thing. Philly to SoCal. We packed up a car with our essentials and put all other furniture and stuff in storage. Once we have stable jobs, well get an apartment and then get our stuff shipped. It's crazy not having all of your stuff but kinda cool at the same time. We are doing a room share now and bought a futon off craigslist and a few other furniture things until we get a real place.

Ha dodged the cold huh? We're backwards, I'm going from Las vegas, NV to MI.

But yeah that's another reason we were going to do the u-box type move, once it's all moved you can still pay to use it as storage, we were thinking of doing that since we won't have enough space for everything right away as we'll be staying with family until we get setup. I'de really like to find a cheaper option similar to the ones I've found but I think $1300 is as good as it gets

• 1 month later...

This thread is now relevant to my interests; we'll be moving ~1000 miles in August. Looks like the dirt cheapest method is just to load everything into a Uhaul/Budget/Penske truck and drive it. Doing that and towing my car, gas, and a night or two in a hotel comes to just under $1500. The pods are a bit more expensive, and would be nice because we could ship some stuff into storage in advance, and make our house look a little nicer for viewings. But on the flip side, the city we're moving to doesn't allow pods on city streets, so if we moved into a condo there wouldn't really be anywhere to unload it.