PO: The Mynabirds - Generals

Saddle Creek just posted the pre-order for the sophomore album from The Mynabirds.

Available in three varieties:

Basic - $15.00

LP (Black vinyl)

Music Plus - $28.00

LP (Black vinyl)

T-shirt

11x17 poster

Sticker

Button

320 Kbps MP3 album download on MAY 22

I Want it All - $40.00

LP (White vinyl exclusive, limited to 250 copies.)

T-shirt

Patch Set

Zine

Tote Bag

11x17 poster

Sticker

Button

320 Kbps MP3 album download on MAY 22

Pre-order here:

http://saddle-creek.com/store/artist/themynabirds/

Ships:

May 22nd

In place of the Zen meditations found on The Mynabirds’ first album, GENERALS is filled with armies of stomps and claps, sweeping full spectrum orchestrations, and moments that range from intensely personal pleas to shout-out-loud protests with teeth.

GENERALS is both a protest record and concept album. It’s fueled by a full decade of Burhenn’s political frustration and aimed at finding a revolutionary yet pacifist way in a world where, these days, it seems warring comes quick. Lyrically, GENERALS sings the voice of the collective frustration, then moves beyond that.

The album’s name comes from a Richard Avedon photo entitled “Generals of the Daughters of the American Revolution.” The lineage of women that have stood up to injustice for well over a hundred years, women like Sojourner Truth, Rosa Parks, Gloria Steinem, Naomi Wolf, they get their hands dirty. And Burhenn wanted to pay tribute to that.

In conjunction with the release of the album, Burhenn is launching a portrait project called The New Revolutionists (www.thenewrevolutionists.org). In an election year when so much time, energy and money will be spent on political contests, Burhenn wanted to shine a light on women making a difference, often on shoestring or even nonexistent budgets, in their own communities all over America, whether they’re making headlines or not.

Track List:

1. Karma Debt

2. Wolf Mother

3. Generals

4. Radiator Sister

5. Disaster

6. Mightier Than the Sword

7. Body of Work

8. Disarm

9. Buffalo Flower

10. Greatest Revenge

Why did I click this thinking it would be release for Neil Young's reeally old group?

Here's her explanation of the name:

I always wanted to make a record that sounds like Neil Young doing Motown. So we made this record with that spirit in mind. And then after it was done, I thought “Do I release this under my own name? Do I release it under a band name?” I really wanted to not put it under my own name. I didn’t want it to be seen as a singer-songwriter thing. And it’s nice to have a bit of detachment from the project so it’s not just you—it’s this thing that exists outside of you. So I’d asked a couple of friends, “Do you have any recommendations?” And a friend of mine, her sister was pregnant, and her dad had just sent her this list of female names of James Joyce characters, one of which was Mina, and that resonated with me and I immediately thought “Mina, Myna, Myna birds—oh I love the way that sounds. Let me see if there is another band called the Mynabirds.” I looked it up and very serendipitously it was Neil Young, who was in this Motown band [The Mynah Birds], and of course I thought “Well, that’s it. It’s got to be it.” There was a moment when I thought, “Am I going to get sued? Is Motown going to come after me? Is Neil Young going to be angry?” And I think hopefully it’s just going to sell some more singles for them.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2010/05/best-of-whats-next-the-mynabirds.html

Pretty funny that both bands had a 7" single out for this past record store day too.

I'm sure that wasn't confusing for anyone at all.