Any one know how to go about painting a guitar?

I've been interested in painting one of old strat copies. The finish is just black and has a ton of dents. Basically, I've heard that spray painting isn't the way to go, but I'm not looking to paint it a solid color, but more along the look of the guitars used by coldplay or angels and airwaves. (not exactly, just examples)

If you don't know what they look like, here's a couple pictures.

http://www.paris1974.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/large/010_0.jpg

and

http://www.chinashopmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/580px_Angels-and-Airwaves_KROQ_CL_Web-7931.jpg

Anyway, what would be the best method to achieve this sort of look? Thanks!

I painted a cheap epiphone Les Paul with a buddy of mine. We just used a type of paint thinner ( can't remember which kind) and that melted off the layer of gloss and red paint down to the bare wood. Then we just painted it (at least 2 or 3 coats, drying each in between, no primer) and used a semi gloss finish. Hung it from a bungee cord in my garage with detached neck in order to paint it. It turned out really great.

I remember him telling me a strat or tele would be different since there's no wood grain in the finish and it has that extra thick layer of paint that covers it you may have to sand it down in order to get down to the bottom paintable layer.