Chunk of Change, minus sleeve - worth it?

Aych

Last week, I found a copy of Passion Pit's Chunk of Change EP for sale online, and went ahead and bought it. They sent me an order confirmation, and I didn't hear back until today, when I got an email explaining that, while they do still have the record, they couldn't find the original sleeve. They offered me a pretty decent discount if I still wanted it without the sleeve, or they would give my money back if I decided against it.

So, should I go for it, despite not having the sleeve?

I would go for it. If you're patient, it can work out nicely.

I once found a copy of a highly sought after LP that had a pretty best up jacket and the 2nd disc had some pretty gnarly skips in it. I talked the record store owner down from the asking price and brought it home.

Then, I waited patiently on eBay and eventually someone posted an "as-is" copy of the same record. It was in mint condition, BUT it was missing the 1st disc. Perfect!

I got it for next to nothing as well, and ended up with a complete set that was in nearly flawless condition for less than it probably would've cost retail before it became impossible to find.

Personally, I don't know if I'd buy a record without a sleeve.

Sleeves are half the fun of it all!

However, I'm the type that is really into having that original art in my hand. Anything less would be a tough sell for me. I'd be really hesitant to spend more than $20 bucks... Maybe not even that. It would completely depend upon how badly I wanted the record and how rare it was.

How much of a discount are they going to give you? I think it's a little bit of a pricey record at this point...

If you were going to try and look out for a sleeve like mindovermatter recommended, I don't know how much luck you'd have. You'd just have to be just that: lucky. If you are going to look into that avenue, I'd really consider how much you're paying now. Unless it's just a completely thrashed copy going for dirt, investing in purely a sleeve for your record seems like a waste when you could just try and get it all together to begin with. Especially when I doubt you'd find some empty sleeve for sale! I mean you might... I've never looked into that, but it just seems so slim.

Idea- If you are artistically inclined, you could always take the time to go buy some 50 cent record at the thrift store and use that sleeve to make your own with personalized artwork.

Hope that helps!

not sure on the price, but this record is pretty hard to find. it was a $30 import when it came out. i used to be looking for this one quite a bit, but the more i listen to it, the more i realize i don't care for it. the two LP's are much better. if you really wanna hear this thing on vinyl and they're giving you a good price, why wouldn't you get it? if you just want it cause you already have their other vinyl, then you probably want the jacket. anything over $20 for just the record probably isn't worth it though.

Thanks for the input and advice, you guys!

I ended up going for it, mostly to complete the set (I already have Manners and Gossamer). With the discount, the price ended up being right around $20, shipped from the UK. Not too shabby, I guess, and now all I have to worry about is it getting across the pond without breaking.

Hopefully I can find a replacement sleeve sometime in the near future. That being said, if anyone knows someone who happens to have a Chunk of Change sleeve lying around...