EPL fantasy league

Almost everything I read/watch that has to do with the sport refers to it as football (even espn soccernet changed to espn FC). So it's football to me. If this were a NFL/EPL fantasy league thread, I'd be more clear. If people confuse the two in the EPL threads, fuck 'em.

You can call baseball "volleyball" and checkers "chess" if you want but in America, football is football and soccer is soccer. You think it makes your sport cooler to use the foreign name for it or something? Do you put an extra "u" in the word "color" as well?

You are a retarded American. Only in this great country could people be so ignorant to insist that a sport played with your hands is truly Football, especially when they were trying to get rid of the KICKOFF! Football is played with your feet. It's a game of skill and finesse. 10 people running around a huge pitch for 45+ minutes at a time with another still doing a fair bit. Americans don't realize what it takes to be a football/soccer player or even try to understand the game most times. Forget that one has been around far longer than the other and uses common sense in the name, America is the only country in the world that seems to think American Football (as its known across the world) should be deemed the only sensible sport allowed to use the name football. Go back to watching your precious Detroit Lions lose every Thanksgiving and be thankful you root for garbage teams.

I'm not sure how that argument made sense inside your head, but I'll play along. I would certainly refer to baseball as "volleyball" if the following were true.

A. The sport was not one of the major sports in America, but was the most popular sport in much of the rest of the world. Which meant I had to watch foreign leagues to see the sport played at a high level.

B. The majority of the world called it "volleyball" and only America called it something else.

C. The team I followed had "volleyball" in the name. For example, Dodgers Volleyball Club.

If those three things were true, like they are for football/soccer (which is what I alluded to in my initial response), then I would probably call the sport volleyball.

As I said, if there was a chance the two "football" sports would be confused, I'd make it clear. I don't have a problem calling football "soccer" and American football "football" when the situation calls for it. The names don't make a difference. It's just what I'm used to calling it and I see no need to change what I'm normally do when there is no chance of confusion to appease a few people (or just you).

You are a retarded American. Only in this great country could people be so ignorant to insist that a sport played with your hands is truly Football, especially when they were trying to get rid of the KICKOFF! Football is played with your feet. It's a game of skill and finesse. 10 people running around a huge pitch for 45+ minutes at a time with another still doing a fair bit. Americans don't realize what it takes to be a football/soccer player or even try to understand the game most times. Forget that one has been around far longer than the other and uses common sense in the name, America is the only country in the world that seems to think American Football (as its known across the world) should be deemed the only sensible sport allowed to use the name football. Go back to watching your precious Detroit Lions lose every Thanksgiving and be thankful you root for garbage teams.

The reason that football is not popular abroad is that all those kids can afford is a ball and some sticks in the ground for posts. Hell, a lot of them can't afford to eat enough put on the size to be a trench player. Not because of the quality of the game. And I played soccer until I was 16 and then came to my senses. So it's not cause I don't understand the sport.

I'm not sure how that argument made sense inside your head, but I'll play along. I would certainly refer to baseball as "volleyball" if the following were true.

A. The sport was not one of the major sports in America, but was the most popular sport in much of the rest of the world. Which meant I had to watch foreign leagues to see the sport played at a high level.

B. The majority of the world called it "volleyball" and only America called it something else.

C. The team I followed had "volleyball" in the name. For example, Dodgers Volleyball Club.

If those three things were true, like they are for football/soccer (which is what I alluded to in my initial response), then I would probably call the sport volleyball.

As I said, if there was a chance the two "football" sports would be confused, I'd make it clear. I don't have a problem calling football "soccer" and American football "football" when the situation calls for it. The names don't make a difference. It's just what I'm used to calling it and I see no need to change what I'm normally do when there is no chance of confusion to appease a few people (or just you).

I think there is a lawyer term for this -- "reducto adsurdum" or something like that? Taking my simple point and extending it until it seems absurd. Regardless of what you call it, it is soccer in America. Why does that insult you?