Searching (rare) records via Google from distros

markok

So, throughout the years I have noticed that when using Google I cannot find all the records that are actually available at different distros. Is this the result of how the websites are made (Flash based) or what?

For example, for years I was looking the following two records (these have been out of print for a while):

Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh

Nile - Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

And stores like pervertedtaste.de and noprayer-records.com have had them for a long time (I bought the last Nile copy though ;) but they never did show up in the google search.

Right now, for example, Im looking for the Daft Punk TRON soundtrack and the Social Network soundtrack but with no results. My gut feeling tells me that they are available somewhere but Google just doesnt show them.

Any thoughts? :)

Makes sense that it is about for the sites are written. Like interpunk and temporary residence for instance. No matter what you search this comes up as the url for interpunk http://www.interpunk.com/search.cfm? and (well at least the old temp res site was like this, it must have just changed) TRL was temporaryresidence.com even when you were in their store section, it has changed to http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/ now.

I kind of like the fact that lots of distros aren't indexed. It makes the hunt more like traditional record store digging where you might find an overlooked gem if you look through enough record lists. If these were indexed, the records you wanted would probably already be long gone by now anyway.

Well, I got zero record stores where I live right now, so I dont care. Index away ;)

Essentially that means your odds of finding close to OOP records will be next to nothing. Most records will be somewhat widely available initially through larger sites that are indexed or you'll know where to find them. (Of course limited press stuff wont be, but that hardly makes it to distros these days anyway) As things become scarce, fans turn to Google to track these records down and snatch up all indexed copies. Odds are this will happen before you're searching, or you would have already bought it anyway.

The beauty is there's still a limited amount of records in the nooks of unidexed sites and dedicated fans can track them down and not pay an arm and a leg. Obviously this is bad for distros, who should sell their records while they're more widely available and adjust prices as scarcity increases, but good for fans who can find a gem! I've been able to find things that I thought were OOP everywhere for the standard price and I'm grateful for that.