Noisy Turntable Solutions

Hello,

I have recently purchased my first turntable. I have very little experience in this but I'm looking forward to learning. It is a dual 1010 turntable. It works fine, but I noticed that there is a fair amount of noise coming from the turntable as it's spinning. I haven't started tinkering with it yet, I just thought I might put it out there if anyone had any tips or resources for turntable repair/maintenance.

Thanks!

Man ... you picked a doozy of a turntable for a beginner to troubleshoot / tinker with. Those idler wheel duals have a ton of moving parts!

First thing - you can register on VinylEngine.com and download both the owners and service manual for the 1010: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1010.shtml

There's also a Dual reference site with a ton of information. In particular, you might want to check out the "maintenance" and "troubleshooting" sections: http://dual-reference.com/

And of course, there's help from forums such as this one. Lots of Dual lovers out there and those tables were very well made, so a lot of people are still enjoying them today.

Oh - before doing anything too drastic, idler wheel duals need to be serviced (cleaned / lubricated) every 2 - 3 years. Not sure if you have any clue about what the previous own had done to it, but there's a good chance that it might just need a good grease job.

ps - bacon grease is not recommended.