Delrin Platter(Rega, NAD, Goldring, Moth Alamo)

So when I had a Rega RP1 I was looking into getting one of these:

http://groovetracer.com/DelrinPlatter.htm

I did some looking around on some other message boards and the general consensus on these is that they sound a bit better than the acrylic platters. The only thing being that they're fairly pricey.

Just wanted to fill some of you guys in on these, even if they can't be used with all turntables

It does make a difference marginally. I had a glass platter and switched to the Delrin which to me made a difference. Plus with the Delrin platter you don't use any mats, the record just sits on the platter which helps with any static you get from using felt mats.

You can place the record directly onto an acrylic platter as well. Therefore, I'm sure there's not too much difference.

However, I have a white Pro-ject Debut Carbon, and I like the white on white look.

With the Delrin you have more mass which helped with speed stability which is a problem with Regas. It also helped open up the instruments and define them. I never used an acrylic before, just glass and Delrin. Since switching to a RP6 I went back to using glass and felt. But its really up to the individuals ear. Some people prefer glass or acrylic or Delrin. Although alot of high end turntables use Delrin.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to learn more about how these are made. We have this material at work, four CNC machines and I would totally be able to make these. But could I? I think once work slows down a little, I'm gonna dig into this and see about making these affordable for my friendly VC boardies...

I need to learn more about how these are made. We have this material at work, four CNC machines and I would totally be able to make these. But could I? I think once work slows down a little, I'm gonna dig into this and see about making these affordable for my friendly VC boardies...

do it, please!  :)

I may have to buy one of the acrylic ones, just to figure out how doable it is and if our shop is capable of it. I think we are, but who knows. I suppose I could buy the acrylic platter and if I can't figure it out, just sell it and be out a few bucks. I'll probably do acrylic ones first as well, since that material is a little easier to come by and a little cheaper. Should be a fun project!