Staticky record?

Ok so I have an album in particular that is overly and regularly staticky. All my other records sound fine with the exception of some small pops or static here and there, but the one album is just overboard. My copy of american football on 180g vinyl is also warped a bit but it still playe and sounds great. I received the new record In the mail a little l warped but it only really shows when I play the second side, it's basically concaved. It also seems as if the static is in the begging and end of songs. So is it because of the warp? Or is it just that I got a bunk copy of caspian waking season?

I would also look into getting the record clean...maybe spin clean or something.  New records have mold release compound so even a brand new record is improved with a cleaning.  A proper cleaning will get that crap off and leave you with a much cleaner record.  I personally use a VPI 16.5 with Record Time cleaning solution.  Looking to upgrade sometime in the future. Really want the Audio Desk vinyl cleaner.

Warps can cause mistracking, wow and flutter.  They definitely don't cause "static" per se as that is a electrical charge on the record that can be mitigated through cleaning and use of a anti static gun/brush etc.  I use an Audioquest brush before and after.  However, if I were buying one today, I'd get the mapleshade brush with the ground cord on it.  Also get the Milty Zerostat.  No more static EVER!

You could still get those snaps and pops etc. for other reasons.  Dirty vinyl, no fill, etc.

Warps can cause mistracking, wow and flutter.  They definitely don't cause "static" per se as that is a electrical charge on the record that can be mitigated through cleaning and use of a anti static gun/brush etc.  I use an Audioquest brush before and after.  However, if I were buying one today, I'd get the mapleshade brush with the ground cord on it.  Also get the Milty Zerostat.  No more static EVER!

You could still get those snaps and pops etc. for other reasons.  Dirty vinyl, no fill, etc.

Ordered the mapleshade brush today.  I'll let people know how well it works, when it arrives.

Ordered the mapleshade brush today.  I'll let people know how well it works, when it arrives.

Nice!  Do definitely post back.  If you really like it, I might just bite the bullet and order it myself.  It's just that I have the audioquest brush (2 of them in fact), and every time I think of getting the Mapleshade one, I just end up buying another record I want.   

• 4 weeks later...

I've used an Audio Quest brush. I think they're all the same for the most part. Plastic. Carbon fiber bristles. I bet the Maple Shade is better, but how much better, I don't know.

The Mapleshade brush is a little different. Uses ultra fine stainless steel bristles and plugs in to the ground of a wall outlet. They advertise it as "static-draining." I'm just curious as to how well it works compared to the more standard carbon fiber fare. What brush do you use ajxd?

Carbon fiber brushes aren't really "anti-static".  The theory is that they conduct static from the record through the brush into your body.  That is why you are supposed to hold it by the metal handle.  This is fine and dandy as long as your body has less static than the record.  If you are carrying a static charge, it is possible to actually push that charge onto the record!

The CF brush is still good for getting rid of dust.

The Mapleshade is indeed a static draining brush as it pulls the static off and discharges it through the ground line in the wall outlet.

I've had really good luck with the Rek-O-Kut Dust Bug.  It is a carbon fiber brush that rests on the surface of the record while it plays and discharges through a ground line.

Sleeve City also sells something very similar

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Antistatic-Record-Cleaning-Arm-p/tac-01.htm