Pro-Ject Debut II Arm/Counterweight Help?

Hi, new here and seems a lovely community!

I'm just starting getting into the vinyl world, and picked up a Project Debut II and phono box off eBay for £100, which I thought was fairly decent. Then after a few attempts of trying to set it up, I just give up! I had a look around at other turntables and some seem to have a support hoop - mine doesn't (see pic below) and I can't attach the counterweight to anything!

So if you could help me with that, and any other things I should be wary of/do to set it up for listening?

Thanks a lot guys! Hope to be posting a lot more on here.

Cheers

David

35cj2iq.jpg

Hi, new here and seems a lovely community!

I'm just starting getting into the vinyl world, and picked up a Project Debut II and phono box off eBay for £100, which I thought was fairly decent. Then after a few attempts of trying to set it up, I just give up! I had a look around at other turntables and some seem to have a support hoop - mine doesn't (see pic below) and I can't attach the counterweight to anything!

So if you could help me with that, and any other things I should be wary of/do to set it up for listening?

Thanks a lot guys! Hope to be posting a lot more on here.

Cheers

David

35cj2iq.jpg

See those 3 threaded metal notches in front of what really is your counterweight (you're referring to setting up your anti-skate weight)?  That's where you attach the string.  On the Pro-ject Carbon, the recommended setting is on the middle notch, I'd assume its the same with yours without doing any research on your specific TT.

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't realise that!!

I had to tie a new knot anyway as the one that was on was much too large.

So now that's on, am I OK to start playing or is any further set up required? I saw some videos using paper templates to set degrees - will that be necessary? If so, could I get a little bit of advice?

Cheers

David

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't realise that!!

I had to tie a new knot anyway as the one that was on was much too large.

So now that's on, am I OK to start playing or is any further set up required? I saw some videos using paper templates to set degrees - will that be necessary? If so, could I get a little bit of advice?

Cheers

David

you mean cart alignment?  Honestly, I wouldn't mess with the way it is until you really know what you're doing.  Unless of course it looks totally out of whack?

Did you set the exact vertical tracking force based on your cart's specifications aka setting the force of the stylus (needle) to its correct setting by adjusting your tonearm counterweight?

Did you set the exact vertical tracking force based on your cart's specifications aka setting the force of the stylus (needle) to its correct setting by adjusting your tonearm counterweight?

For what it's worth, I'd be careful using the words "vertical" and "tracking force" back to back. Vertical tends to refer to vertical tracking angle (VTA), which is a different measurement and setup idea. I know it's nitpicking, but anything can help new guys to vinyl. It can be a confusing topic!

For what it's worth, I'd be careful using the words "vertical" and "tracking force" back to back. Vertical tends to refer to vertical tracking angle (VTA), which is a different measurement and setup idea. I know it's nitpicking, but anything can help new guys to vinyl. It can be a confusing topic!

Been a TT owner for 7 years now. Im glad to have helped a new guy to vinyl, ;) .

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/cartbasics.html

VTF and VTA are both pretty common terminology. Learning a lot of the unique terminology and knowing how to apply it is a big part of learning how to optimize your TT as well as preserving it and your records. OP has a long way to go it seems, but learning is half the fun! IMO.

Yeah, that's really interesting. I have a close relationship with turntables, and talk about them with people on a daily basis, and have never heard anyone use the term VTF or vertical tracking force. Fascinating. The "vertical" just seems redundant, I guess.

But hey, it's all about learning, and you're right! OP has a lot to learn, but it really is a ton of fun!

Yeah, that's really interesting. I have a close relationship with turntables, and talk about them with people on a daily basis, and have never heard anyone use the term VTF or vertical tracking force. Fascinating. The "vertical" just seems redundant, I guess.

But hey, it's all about learning, and you're right! OP has a lot to learn, but it really is a ton of fun!

In that respect the "vertical" in tracking angle is redundant as well, haha. Though might as well lay it out the way its technically defined, that way terminology can be google searched easier.