Technics SL-QD33 starting issues and speed problems

Hey everyone, I have a Technics SL-QD33 turntable. A couple weeks ago (record store day haul) I noticed my turntable acting up a little.

I hit the start/stop button as I normally would and the table begins to spin, but doesn't quite get started, almost as if there is a "hump over the hill to get over". It will turn slightly and then stop, and turn slightly and then stop. If I manually help it over that hump, it goes just fine.

two weeks pass

Same problem getting the thing started, but now everything seems to be playing out of speed and sounds wobbly.

I just downloaded the schematic for the turntable, but I've never really serviced it before, so any help would be great.

Before giving up on it I would get some contact cleaner (doesn't have to be Deoxit) and clean all speed controls, as well as any pots you may find if you remove the bottom panel.  May not fix the problem, but it's worth a shot.

I've got an Onkyo that's from the same era, nothing special, but it would completely stop when using the pitch controls if you hit a certain spot (on both 33 and 45 speed controls).  I cleaned those up and no more problems.

• 6 months later...

-

Technics SL - QD33

I have a very similar problem on the exact model turntable.  At one spot in the revolution, there is a grinding noise, and the strobe indicates it is slowing down at this spot, too.  If I shim up under the front left corner, it lessens. The top platter will not come off where I can check it out. 

• 2 months later...