Another Vintage Question

Hey guys I am looking to get into the vintage receivers, as well as the vintage speakers. I am currently using a pretty low end JVC receiver and would love to go vintage.

A local thrift shop has a Fisher rs-2010 for around 30 bucks. I have done some reading up on this receiver and it sounds like a solid piece.

I was also looking on my local CL and found a guy selling a Fisher CA-880 for around 60. Looks to be in great shape and also has a good solid track record.

Anyone have any info on comparisons between the two? Which would you go with?

PS i have read that Fisher is one to shy away from except for the earlier equipment. Do these meet the early criteria?

Well the quality of Fisher stuff dropped off after Avery Fisher sold the company in 1969.  By the late 70s fisher was sometimes deemed Lo-Fi by audio enthusiasts.

That being said that fisher is a 100 wpc receiver with a silver face.  If it works, 30 bucks is a steal.

But nevertheless if you really want to get into Fisher stuff, go pre-1970.

Well the quality of Fisher stuff dropped off after Avery Fisher sold the company in 1969.  By the late 70s fisher was sometimes deemed Lo-Fi by audio enthusiasts.

That being said that fisher is a 100 wpc receiver with a silver face.  If it works, 30 bucks is a steal.

But nevertheless if you really want to get into Fisher stuff, go pre-1970.

Thanks so much for the fast response. I figured that would be a good steal if it works, based on what they are going for on ebay and the likes. The thrift store has a few sets of speakers (all low end junk) but at least i will be able to test it.

When I first started, I had a MCS, basically a low-end piece made for JC Penny by Technics and a few other companies at different times. It was not great, but it worked, and it honestly worked better than a lot of entry level crap today, and it was way cheaper (read: free). My second receiver was a pretty nice Sony, cost me $75. Sounded decent and was in pretty nice shape. All-in-all, it was a decent buy, but $75 was steap. At some point along the way I snagged a Yamaha Natural Sound CR-640 for $10 at a thrift store, it wouldn't even turn on. After about 3 weeks of research, frustration, and determination, I had it working better than new. That is currently my main rig, with about $30 into it. 

My point is that the vintage game is a journey. It's constantly morphing and changing and that's the fun of it. Don't buy the expensive receiver because someone says it's better. Everything is subjective and the fun is in the search. Go ahead and get the cheap one if you like the look and capabilities and then save your money for some decent speakers. I promise, you will get bit by the bug and you will find yourself looking at new gear within the month. Might as well begin with something less expensive, afterall, they will both adequately amplify your phono input. That's just my $.02, at least. 

Hey guys, looking for a little insight. I'm heading down to Phoenix this weekend and found a marantz 2250b and pioneer sx-1050, both about the same price and both listing saying the receivers have been reconditioned and are in great condition. I'll be taking a look at each and hopefully demoing as much as possible. I've already contacted the marantz seller and I know he doesn't have a table to demo the phono. Any suggestions, things I should look for, overall better choice? Thanks for the help

Ask both sellers specifically if they have been "recapped" (meaning the old capacitors have been replaced).  "reconditioned" could mean anything.

If one of them has been recapped, go for that one.

If both or none have, I'd say go for the SX-1050.  Better specs and more power, plus I think the 70s pioneers just sound more dynamic and vivid than the marantz.