search for a nonexpensive, durable receiver (preamp?)

mclz

Well long story short. I think my receiver is screwed up. Music wasn't coming out of the left speaker and the store it was purchased from said they couldn't find anything wrong. Now I think the left speaker is working, but I can't control volume, bass, etc. I just want to get rid of it and get a new one because it's been like a month I haven't been able to listen to my records normally.

The one I have was a gift and around $250-300 and has multiple features. I don't want that. I just want a receiver I can plug my record player and speakers in so I can play music.

I'm looking for a moderately priced receiver from somewhere that has accepts satisfaction refunds. Reason for that is because if I find out my receiver wasn't what was wrong with my record player/speakers I want to be able to return them no questions asked even if nothing is wrong with them.

Anyone have any suggestions on a model and where to buy? I haven't purchased a new receiver in like 7 years.

Thanks.

If you just want to listen to your records, you don't want a receiver. Also, inexpensive and durable are usually the exact opposites, unfortunately. I'd say grab a marantz pm6004 and your troubles will be over. Though even if your receiver ends up working fine, you'll have a hard time forcing yourself to return the marantz.

Oh, well since you said that the $250 one is giving you problems and you want to avoid that in the future I thought you're going a step up budget-wise.

As for what it is you actually need, you want to get an integrated amp instead of a receiver. An integrated amplifier is basically a receiver minus all the extra features you don't need.

But honestly, a $100-$150 piece of gear, new (in case you want to return it) and more "durable" than what you already have just doesn't exist. That's like saying you want a new 60" plasma TV for $200. It simply isn't possible.

There are "mini-amplifiers" in that range, but then you have to add a phono stage which is another $50-$100, and when going that route speaker-matching becomes key, plus any serious durability isn't really to be expected there either.

You can go used, but then you don't have an option to return it.

You can go vintage, but then there's no guarantee you won't experience the same problems you're experiencing now within a week.

You can go not buying 10 or 15 records, add that to your budget and get something that'll work hassle-free for at least a decade. What's the point of owning records if you cannot enjoy them?