Does anyone have insurance on their vinyl?

hickey

but I think I would need more than a list to prove that I actually own my records.

you should take a photo of you holding each one and giving the thumbs up.

also, when i had rented a house or rental insurance included my cd's...to the tune of about 15 grand. it just makes sense.

The only thing you have to quadruple check with your insurance company is if they will replace at actual value of that specific pressing/color/etc or if they will replace with an equivalent copy. As in -

I used to collect Misfits and Samhain. I wanted to add my collection to my renter's policy, so I called to get info. There were two options - adding to my standard policy or taking out an art/collectible type policy. The difference was that the standard policy replaced with an equivalent copy (as in, they'd replace my $1000 (at the time) green vinyl Earth A.D. with a $10 black vinyl copy from the record store down the street) whereas the collectible policy would actually replace at full value. Obviously this type of insurance is more expensive.

So just be careful about the terms.

Jason

http://www.murdercityvinyl.com

Now that's some killer advice, good to know.

my agent told me that it covers me for replacement value. I told her I have several irreplaceable records and would that mean that I would get ebay value for them since that's the only way to replace them, and she said yes. again, not sure I trust her.

ask if theres a way to get that clarification in writing. be a dick about it. dont think they wont if given the chance.

our insurance costs $30 a month and covers a total of $100000 worth of stuff. we have a system here in the UK where we specify a particular valuable item (like a collection), but its a percentage of the total insured value. so to get my vinyl and CDs insured, i have to take out a huge policy so the percentage of the insured value for valuable items comes to about the replacement value of my record collection. the insurer said i dont need photos but i wouldnt trust them. i have photos and movie footage of my whole collection, (but not of indiviual items) and a detailed listing with replacement costs and where to gt the (ie ebay, amazon etc). hopefully we'll never have to claim...

wow, I never thought about it. that's a good idea. once I move I'll have to look into it. so you can pretty much insure anything? like my computer and accessories too?

well yeah, anything in your house can be insured under your contents insurance. you can even get policies whereby your laptop and your bike are insured on your home contents insurance even when you take them away from home.