New TT setup - need advice

Hello everyone,

I've decided to get into vinyl and am basically starting from scratch. I've been doing a lot of research over the past couple of weeks and have become more and more confused.

I've finally decided on the Pro-ject Debut Carbon for the TT. I also have the option of purchasing a set of barely used Polk Audio TSi200 bookshelf speakers from a friend for $100.

My first question is, I know I need a pre-amp, but would it be more efficient to go straight from the pre-amp to a quality set of powered speakers, or does it make sense to go with the pre-amp and an amp OR an amp that already has a phono in? 

The part where I am most confused with is what are the benefits/negatives of going straight from a pre-amp to powered speakers over an amp and regular speakers?

I want my turntable setup to be completely standalone, even with an integrated amp I would not be adding any other devices (tape deck, cd, etc..), it is strictly for the TT. My primary listening style will be 30's swing/jazz to 70's classic rock with a few modern jazz/blues LP's thrown into the mix.

My overall budget is $1100CDN. I expect the TT to cost me near $450 so that leaves me $550 for a pre-amp and amp (or an amp with phono in) or $650 for a pre-amp and powered speakers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as an explanation of the pros/cons of going straight to powered speakers.

Thank you!

I run through powered speakers. My set up is 

powered speakers>phono box 2 usb>tt

You have a boat load of money I'm sure some rad advice will come up soon for you. Are you already situated with a house? Or live in an apartment where neighbors don't care about sounds? Some of your questions all depend on how much sound you want/can crank.

Good luck anyhow!

I am in a top floor condo unit of a three level building. I have a neighbor below me I want to be conscious of so I'm not looking for something where I can "blast" my music and I plan on putting my speakers on stands to help reduce any sounds travelling through the floor. 

Best advice is go listen to some stuff and see what appeals to your ears, once you have paid over the money it's yours so I would never suggest buying without listening unless it's for no money.

The most important thing with all hifi is setting it up properly, the most expensive kit set up badly will sound cack.

Powered speakers are more convenient but as with everything in audio that's convenient you loose quality, that said you have to go a good way up the food chain to hear that difference. Also all things are relative so a good powered set can wipe the floor with an average passive set and average amp.  but it's about noise floor and putting the power supply in with the item that vibrates the music out is risky unwanted noise wise, the same is true of putting your turntable too close to the big power supply in an integrated amp.

The other thing to consider is upgradability, if you are sure you are going to just buy some stuff and stick with it then TT, Phono Pre and powered speakers will suit you absolutely fine provided you are happy with the sound. If you are the sort who likes to change stuff then the more bits you split it up into then the more room for upgrade you have.

Also you mentioned amps with built in phono amps, when Vinyl was king (70's and 80's) the phono amps in an average Japanese integrated was much better than most average separate phono amps you can buy now so going vintage can be very good but of course anything vintage is exactly that and might not sound at it's best after 20 or 30 years. The phono amp built into any average integrated amp from the early 90's on is likely to be poor though as it was an afterthought

Yea, I think it would be beneficial for me to go phono-pre --> amp --> speakers. I will want to upgrade in the future. I've been getting a lot of recommendations for the Marantz PM6004 for the amp, does anyone have something else to recommend? Also, I don't know the first thing about phono-pre's, what brands should I AVOID?

It depends where you are as what's available and it's price differs depending on where in the world you are but if pushed phono pre's I would recommend at a reasonable price would be be both the Cambridge ones, the better of the two the 651p is a lot better for not a huge price uplift and I would recommend the Rega Fono MM.

Anything thing that has USB in it unles its from someone like Rega I would avoid as phono pre amplification and RIAA curve equalisation probably won't be it's primary task.

The solid state Project ones I have heard I have not been impressed with but that may be personal preference and the Project valve (tube) ones I have heard I have liked very much.

Thanks everyone, I've decided to go with the following setup:

Pro-Ject Carbon Debut TT ($449)

Cambridge Audio Azure 551P Phono Pre-Amp ($149)

Cambridge Audio Azure 351A Integrated Amp ($549)

Polk Audio TSi200 Bookshelf Speakers ($100)

I've got everything on hold and am picking it up tomorrow morning, I can't wait!

I'll still have to get speaker stands as well as a stand for the TT and Amps, not to mention cables so all In all I think I'm in for a good $1500 easy.