Record Players

I am using my dads old JVC JL-F50 from the 70's. I have read that certain players can damage records by the weight of the arm, the way the needle is... Anyway, I am fairly new to vinyl and am just wondering if this player could be damaging my records, and reducing its quality more than a new player would. Does anybody know about this turntable? I would be willing to spend around $300 on a new turntable if it will help protect my records.

I am using my dads old JVC JL-F50 from the 70's. I have read that certain players can damage records by the weight of the arm, the way the needle is... Anyway, I am fairly new to vinyl and am just wondering if this player could be damaging my records, and reducing its quality more than a new player would. Does anybody know about this turntable? I would be willing to spend around $300 on a new turntable if it will help protect my records.

The turntables that can prematurely wear out records are DJ 'tables. They have heavier tonearms and needles so as to be able to play through imperfections and such. 'Consumer' or any other table made for casual listening should not create this problem.

Guest scriptedrain
We need a n00b vinyl questions sticky, this is getting out of hand. :)

For the love of god... NO MORE STICKIES!

Well, yeah, I feel the same way about the stickies too. I think there should be a Virgil preorder thread, a Turntable Questions thread, and the other 2 we have. That's 4 stickies, good enough for me.

For the love of god... NO MORE STICKIES!

Well, yeah, I feel the same way about the stickies too. I think there should be a Virgil preorder thread, a Turntable Questions thread, and the other 2 we have. That's 4 stickies, good enough for me.

I kinda think there should be a "VC News" forum. Yeah, yeah, I know people were against adding the second forum before, but I think having an entire forum JUST for Virgil to post news about preorders, restocks, etc. would make it much easier for this news to not get lost with the rest of the threads, as well as cleaning up the main forum. Just a thought.

If Virgil didn't post his news in here, many of us would miss out on what he was doing. Not to mention this is HIS website, and every record he sells helps him pay his bills, including the one that covers hosting VC.com. I don't think any of us should have a say in how many stickies Virgil makes, even if it does get unwieldy.

Guest falloutcollapse
If Virgil didn't post his news in here, many of us would miss out on what he was doing. Not to mention this is HIS website, and every record he sells helps him pay his bills, including the one that covers hosting VC.com. I don't think any of us should have a say in how many stickies Virgil makes, even if it does get unwieldy.

There's a little bit of brown on your nose, you might want to get it off. JUST KIDDING SCOTT

Don't get me wrong, I obviously have nothing wrong with Virgil posting his news. I was just saying we don't need more stickies if they're not VC related. However, I do think a VC News forum would be a good thing, since it would be devoted only to Virgil's stuff. However, I could see why one would think it would just get ignored, but I don't think that would happen. Either way, I love the site and I'm not trying to dictate to anyone how it should be run. Just an idea I threw out there.

Guest scriptedrain

As I said, I think there should be a Preorder thread, just not 6 or 7 of them. And I love the Restock threads. I have nothing bad to say about Virgil or VC or the message board, I just think all the stickies are a bit too much. If I remember correctly, you feel this way too (or have in the past) because I swear I've seen you post similar feelings. It's not that we're having a say, just voicing our opinions (isn't that a good thing? it's got us a 2nd forum and Virgil has listened to a lot of our ideas, concerns, and suggestions).

The thing is, if Virgil were to make just one sticky for pre-orders, then the information would get buried mighty fast and would eventually be less trafficked. As sick as I am of seeing "PORTUGAL THE MAN “Church Mouth” pre-order" on the front page, I understand why it needs to be there, and more importantly why it needs to be separated from the ETID/Sparta/Norma Jean/etc stickies.