Spending Two Months in Mainz, Germany

So I'm going to be taking a two month research post at the Max Planck Institute for Polymers in Mainz from mid-June to mid-August this summer (girlfriend is joining me) and we just realized that means we have about 6 weeks to figure out what we need/need to bring/everything. I have a stipend (~1500 Euros a month) and a place to stay (your basic student flat) and I'll be pretty busy during the daylight hours but we have very little idea what to expect/plan for/what we should do for fun when we're out there. We should have the weekends free to travel.

So if you guys have ideas about Mainz/Frankfurt/Germany in general let me hear it! Also, if any of you have transitioned from American to German life for an extended period of time and have some suggestions about essentials to bring/buy (I know I need power outlet adapters for sure) I would love to hear it too.

We love beer. We love food. We know very little German.

Well mainly my concern is, while everyone says most Germans know English (and obviously that's true) I've also been told I should learn some basic conversational stuff and try to speak German first in most cases. So what is your opinion on that?

It's my understanding that in many foreign countries, if you make an effort to communicate in their language people will be more likely to converse with you or try to help you out (in English). 

Learn some basic stuff if you can, and try to start conversations in German. If you do that, you'll probably learn a lot of the language just by being immersed in it. 

Well mainly my concern is, while everyone says most Germans know English (and obviously that's true) I've also been told I should learn some basic conversational stuff and try to speak German first in most cases. So what is your opinion on that?

Sure it would help to know some German phrases, but you shouldn't feel obligated. Most people (at least the younger ones) speak English. No need to be worried.

I visited the area several times in the last few years for shows and whatnot since flights into Frankfurt Hahn are unbeliavably cheap.

Nothing to write to home about but still cool.

Frankfurt has a couple of decent record stores (Sick Wreckords and No.2) and in the same area they have a street market every saturday with lots of wax vendors.

I also bought some records in Mainz from Lautstark. Missed on the Guttemberg museum and it seemed really interesting.

There's a couple more shops in Darmstadt if you're into 60s/70s/80s oldies.

Also treat yourself with a fkk club experience when the gf is not around ;)

Well if you have the ability of renting a car or money to go by train you could make a trip to Hamburg (around 2 and a half hours) or Hannover (around 1 and a half hours and my location :D ). Although Hannover may not have enough to show off for the money you'd spend on the train ticket! Regarding shows just check out the bands you like for their euro tours. A lot of cool bands are around this summer. There are many nice festivals as well but those are quite expensive and you'd have to get there somehow so I don't know if this is an option for you! As you're quite in the middle of Germany you have many options to take. If you need anything, shoot me a message!

Well if you have the ability of renting a car or money to go by train you could make a trip to Hamburg (around 2 and a half hours) or Hannover (around 1 and a half hours and my location :D ). Although Hannover may not have enough to show off for the money you'd spend on the train ticket! Regarding shows just check out the bands you like for their euro tours. A lot of cool bands are around this summer. There are many nice festivals as well but those are quite expensive and you'd have to get there somehow so I don't know if this is an option for you! As you're quite in the middle of Germany you have many options to take. If you need anything, shoot me a message!

Awesome! We will definitely be spending most of our free time/money on traveling and we will probably take trains most everywhere outside of Mainz. My advisor is trying to find someone who will sell us a couple of cheap bikes to get around town with otherwise. I'll definitely try and hit you up when we're there!

Awesome! We will definitely be spending most of our free time/money on traveling and we will probably take trains most everywhere outside of Mainz. My advisor is trying to find someone who will sell us a couple of cheap bikes to get around town with otherwise. I'll definitely try and hit you up when we're there!

I forgot to add that the close proximity of Hahn airport (about 1 hour by bus from Mainz) would be worth looking into for short breaks in other EU cities.

This is a map of the Ryanair connections from HHN:

koU3EzH.png

• 1 month later...

I forgot to add that the close proximity of Hahn airport (about 1 hour by bus from Mainz) would be worth looking into for short breaks in other EU cities.

This is a map of the Ryanair connections from HHN:

koU3EzH.png

Thanks! I Just saw this and this explains why everyone so far has seemed to be flying even for shorter distance holidays. I know I'll have to travel to Kiel in about a month to meet up with an awesome frog biologist, would you all suggest train or plane for that?

By the way.. I'M IN GERMANY NOW DUDERS.

Thought #1 - So far my experiences in German stores have been intimidating, the German people all shop with such ruthless purpose compared to Americans.

Thought #2 - So far it has not been nearly as straightforward as everyone has led me to believe to communicate. It has been almost 50/50 at this point with people who I've interacted with who understood little to no English at all. Weird! I'm learning my Deutsch as quick as I can to try and make this experience a little friendlier...

#AmericantryingnottolooktooAmerican #Failing

Thanks! I Just saw this and this explains why everyone so far has seemed to be flying even for shorter distance holidays. I know I'll have to travel to Kiel in about a month to meet up with an awesome frog biologist, would you all suggest train or plane for that?

Would definitely look into trains to reach Kiel.

However there seems to be some options from Frankfurt Airport. There seems to be a not so expensive Lufthansa flight straight to Hamburg but then you'll have do catch some trains/S-bahn to reach Kiel.

If you take the train you might check the prices with Deutsche Bahn's "Sparpreis-Finder", so you have an overview of the cheapest options on a specific day.

Other than that you could get from Mainz to Kiel via bus. Flixbus drives this route once a day and prices start from 29€ (which is really cheap for this distance). Big disadvantage: It's a 12 hour ride and you will arrive at 10pm, so you probably have to get there one day earlier.

Definitely try bus or train for this route! Plane will be too expensive I guess. Sorry to hear you're meeting so many people not speaking English that well :/ I sometimes feel ashamed for my fellows because of this as many neighbor countries manage to educate people a lot better, especially the northern countries.

Still, if you need any help, contact me!

Today was a better day for communication! Only encountered one cashier at a store who didn't like my lack of understanding Deutsch. Managed to order food 3 times today in Deutsch as well. It doesn't bother me so much that many people can't speak English, I certainly don't see Americans making any effort to communicate with the growing Hispanic workforce. More than anything I get embarrassed when I have to whip out "Es tut mir leid, sprechen sie Englisch?" to someone after a certain point in communication. I don't want to be a lazy American!

It's the little things that are the most difficult when you are a non-tourist traveler abroad. Laundry, groceries, etc. Learning the hard way.

Where do you usually stay? Do you have a washing machine there? In the most bigger cities there are still washing centers where you can wash your clothes for a bargain. Even though many smaller cities don't have many of those left as everyone has his or her own. What's difficult about groceries? If you are looking for stuff as a substitute for something you're missing ask me and I may now an alternative ;)

Where do you usually stay? Do you have a washing machine there? In the most bigger cities there are still washing centers where you can wash your clothes for a bargain. Even though many smaller cities don't have many of those left as everyone has his or her own. What's difficult about groceries? If you are looking for stuff as a substitute for something you're missing ask me and I may now an alternative ;)

We are staying in University supplied housing, it's a decent sized flat that was fully furnished and all and is very nice for what we need it for. The basement of the building has a launderette(?) which we can use however they use a strictly microchip-card based payment system here which we were only given and told to use as the key to our flat, though apparently we were supposed to go to some building some place and set up an account for it and put cash towards it to use for campus food and services like laundry. Needless to say it hasn't really been an issue with finding where to do things more than its been an issue so far to actually DO them because we haven't had to opportunity yet to talk to people (due to the holiday weekend here in Mainz).

We did successfully buy groceries though. That's only been slightly intimidating because we have yet to master the art of supermarket lines.. it is much different here than it is in the US. Efficiency is off the charts here...

I'll definitely make sure to ask if there's something we are looking for food wise and can't find. So far we've been in an Aldi (we have them in the US too but they are significantly different/less nice here) and a Real(?) Walmart-type superstore. We are going to try Rewe here in town as well this week.