That's a beautiful backyard you've got there Hudson.  I really need to work on my yard and garden. So far the most successful veggie I planted from last year has been the fennel. The carrots and radishes didn't do so well because the neighborhood cats keep digging at them and eating the leaves. It's a constant struggle to keep cats out of my garden, and it sucks. I should be able to start some seedlings indoors next month so that's exciting. I'm gonna try and focus on a few staple items rather than get a bunch of different things, and see how it goes from there. 

That's a beautiful backyard you've got there Hudson.  I really need to work on my yard and garden. So far the most successful veggie I planted from last year has been the fennel. The carrots and radishes didn't do so well because the neighborhood cats keep digging at them and eating the leaves. It's a constant struggle to keep cats out of my garden, and it sucks. I should be able to start some seedlings indoors next month so that's exciting. I'm gonna try and focus on a few staple items rather than get a bunch of different things, and see how it goes from there. 

A few years ago my wife started some seedlings in the basement...one of our cats promptly ate them as they began to sprout. Then puked them up. Everywhere.

The house I bought has a small yard, but there are a couple of planters already there.  The previous owners left half the Tomato plants and Raspberry plants.  I'll probably be to lazy to deal with them, but I want to start growing some stuff.  Potatoes and Peppers would be tops on the list.  I really want to start growing my own Ghost Peppers, and  maybe Thai Peppers.

I'll have to remember this thread and stop back here in a few months when planting season starts.