cartridge help

just in the past week, my turntable has started sounding kinda crappy. the cartridge is relatively new (4 months old), so i cant imagine that i need a new cartridge or stylus. the sound is kind of coming in and out, getting quieter at times, and pretty staticy. i have a grado prestige green. do i need new leads? does the stylus need to be cleaned? has anyone else had this problem? thanks-

scott

i do still have my old cartridge, ill give that a shot. i hope its not the preamp, as it is built into my receiver, and i dont feel like buying a whole new setup...is that anti static gun significantly better than a cleaning + antistatic brush? i have one of those that seems to do well enough for the cleaning part...

thanks for the tips, anymore advice is always welcome!

• 4 months later...

bringing this thread back up. just got a zerostat gun, does not seem to be helping. i know it is not the preamp, as i have now tried different ones. i got new leads, no luck. anyone have anymore advice, or specific instructions on how to demag my cartridge? im going crazy not using my record player!