humming (debut carbon -> pm6004 -> atlantean 201)

I finally got my setup together, but now I am experiencing a noticeable hum out of one of the speaker channels. I have read a lot of threads about humming and making sure everything is "properly grounded" and all that, but I'm still having some confusion and I want to make sure I'm clear on everything.

First, when I switch the cables going into my amp from the turntable, the humming changes channels, so I think that rules out the speakers being the issue.

The ground cable is running from the turntable where it is nice and secure, to the amp's phono ground, here it is also nicely secured.

From here, I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue. The cables going into the cartridge look well-secured, but I don't totally know what they'd look like if they were fucked. I bought this amp Marantz factory refurbished from Accessories4Less and they have a good reputation from what I understand. Also, the turntable is practically brand new. Bought it in Feburary and haven't touched it since then because I didn't have all my shit together yet.

Can anyone guide me on the next steps to take? 

here's a pretty good video that points out the transit screws mentioned above (around 0:50s) 

it sounds like yours are meant to be left in but if they happen to be red, remove them.

otherwise, (as mentioned above) there are a number of DIY fixes out there.  a 10 second Google search should get you more details.

My guess is that it's gotta be something with the ledes (cables connecting to the cartridge) or the actual RCA cables running from the turntable to the preamp. I don't think it'd be motor hum if it's only on one channel, wouldn't make much sense. Try to make sure the ledes aren't crossing or touching each other and that your RCA cables aren't intertwined with any power cords...

When you say you switched the cables going into your amp, did you do it on the amp side or the turntable side? Because if you switch them on the turntable side you can rule out the cable as the source of the problem IF the hum changes channels this time as well. If the hum stays in the same channel when you switch the cables on the turntable side only, then they might need replacing (I'd rule out interference with any other cables/wiring, because it is very unlikely to affect only one channel).

If it is not the cable causing the problem, there are multiple possibilities, each very hard to figure out/confirm. It could be a defective cartridge (if this problem exists from the beginning), maybe a manufacturing defect in the tonearm wiring... Hard to say really.

Also, make sure your turntable is absolutely level - use a spirit level (preferably a round one) to balance it absolutely horizontally. This is extremely important not only because ignoring this can cause playback issues, but also damage the platter bearing in the long run. Make sure the turntable is stable as well, so that it doesn't "wobble" if you press down on any of the corners on the base.

My guess is that it's gotta be something with the ledes (cables connecting to the cartridge) or the actual RCA cables running from the turntable to the preamp. I don't think it'd be motor hum if it's only on one channel, wouldn't make much sense. Try to make sure the ledes aren't crossing or touching each other and that your RCA cables aren't intertwined with any power cords...

My motor hum, although slight now, is prominent in my left channel. I'm assuming if I swapped the RCA cable inputs the hum would be present in the second channel then. Right? It sounds like this is what he's experiencing.

I'm on my second Carbon and they both had a motor hum issue so I may be a bit biased.

This thing with the Project motor hum is this something to do with the motor not bring properly isolated from the arm?

And OP does the hum go when you hold the arm? If it does it has to be a bad ground somewhere but you need to be very methodical to find it.

Start at one end, probably the cartridge and work on from there unplugging and plugging the signal and the power as you go until you don't make a change any more to isolate where exactly where it's being generated, once you know that you can try and isolate where in the item it is coming from.

So I went to the store and I bought some of those neoprene washers and installed them.

I am now only experiencing this humming on some records, it would seem. I'm going to make a list of the things I have finished troubleshooting.

Neoprene washers installed under transit screws.

Switching RCA cables at amp or TT changes channel humming is produced in.

Ground cable from amp to TT seem very secure.

No humming when needle isn't in contact with the record, unless the needle is brought close to motor manually.

RCA cables are not intertwining with power cables.

There is no humming unless the needle is touching the record and the TT is spinning.

Humming is almost always totally unnoticeable when music is playing, more of a frustration with my new product not working outstandingly, so I want to make sure it's not my stupid fault.

I somehow got a refund from Audio Advisor [who had great customer service, btw], even though they claimed they could not find a hum when the set the TT up. They also told me the same thing happened to the last person who sent a TT back for motor hum. Now, Does anyone have some good advice for a TT I should buy? I feel wary about buying another Carbon, but I kind of want one because they're so pretty and sounded great besides the hum. I've thoroughly read through DON'T BUY  A CROSLEY, but any recommendations would be awesome.

That does sound a lot like you had motor hum so best to get rid.

Did you just return the Project?

Not knowing your budget but my suggestions in this order would be a Rega, the better U Turn or possibly 2nd hand if you are feeling brave. Even a 2nd hand Project might be a good move if you can hear it before you buy it.

yanquiuxo is selling his so might be worth talking to him, at least you will know it will be right.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/103388-fs-pro-ject-debut-carbon-acryl-it-platter/

One thing that springs to mind is that I wonder if those who have the acrylic platter suffer with the motor hum issue as I would expect it to isolate the arm and motor better than the stock platter.

Did you just return the Project?

Not knowing your budget but my suggestions in this order would be a Rega, the better U Turn or possibly 2nd hand if you are feeling brave. Even a 2nd hand Project might be a good move if you can hear it before you buy it.

Yeah, returned the Project. They let me return it far after the return date, which was nice.

I'm pretty much in the same price range as before with the Project.

At first I was going to buy a U-Turn, so I was considering going back down that route. I don't feel confident in my ability to buy a good second hand table. hah.