PO: Cobalt - War Metal (black metal)

hhr2014-15_cobalt_-_war_metal.jpg

500 pressed of the debut full-length from the now-defunct Cobalt. 100 on black brown splatter, 400 on black. Shipping 21st July.

'This album will hit you like a thunder-bolt! Hailing from the United States, Cobalt, a two-member act, plays a very Australian brand of Black "war" Metal. There's no bass in the album, only an unrelenting drum and a equally vigorous guitar. This isn't really like any other band I've heard. It's unique and that's what makes this album stand out.

The same formula's been used for all the songs in this album. Around 5 or 6 riffs are used per each song. Each riff is repeated for around a minute with just the drum in the background and very few vocals, if any. To "make up" for that, the guitar-work and the drums are exceptionally good in this. The drumming pattern always and always goes 100% with the guitar riffs. The riffs themselves are an entirely different story altogether - they might sound a bit simple at times but they're mostly very elaborate and well-thought out. The main emphasis of this album is on the war music - it says with the instrument the same message that vocals would convey.

The pace of the songs is, not surprisingly, fast with lots and lots of drumming in the back. They've even managed to use a whole bunch of guitar-effects in their songs but it's mostly just the normal guitar - no other synth-based faggotries here. The lyrical emphasis is on war (warfare), destruction and victory. At 39 minutes with 7 tracks, I wouldn't really complain since this is Cobalt's first release, and a very good one at that.

I'm actually surprised there isn't any hype about this. Usually, when "unsung" metal bands come up with this kinda stuff, they're praised all over the place. Perhaps the non-commercial policy of their initial record company, Displeased Records, is to "blame" for this. In either case, I'm absolutely certain that fans of Black Metal will love this album, if they find it, that is.'

http://hammerheartrecords.bigcartel.com/product/cobalt-war-metal-lp-black-brown-splatter-100-limited-edition

http://hammerheartrecords.bigcartel.com/product/cobalt-war-metal-lp

That description was taken from a Metal Archives post.

I'm on the fence about buying this.

yes, the label used this description in their shop write-up. 'Empire of the Moth' is up in their myspace. It is what it is. A lot rawer than Gin, but heavy as hell for 2 guys bashing away at their gear.

https://myspace.com/stinktown666/music/songs

Would have ordered if it wasn't 18 euro to ship to Canada. Nuts!

I do believe that postage rate is a flat rate from Hammerheart. If there's anything else they have...?