Upgrade advice

Posted in the never buy a Crosley thread but I thought I'd bump this thread in hopes to grab someones attention as I'm trying to get my stuff ordered today. Here's the post from that thread:

Looking for some advice. Looking to upgrade my system for time since the complete overhaul. I'm thinking the best investment, most cost efficient upgrade for sound and my collection is a cleaner. I'm pretty positive I want to get the Audio Advisor Record Doctor. Seems like a great value for a vacuum type cleaner. I might have some money to upgrade another portion of my system. I'm thinking either SpeedBox, Acrylic platter, or preamp (I have a Debut Carbon, surprising I know). From what I've seen over the years in these types of threads is preamp is a very good first upgrade sonically. In this case I've been considering the Cambridge Audio Azure 551p or the Pro-ject phono box S. Any comments or recommendations on that are welcome. I'm also considering the SpeedBox because I've read it's a nice sonic upgrade and throwing on a 12" and having it cut at 45rpm with no specification anywhere then getting it in "slo-mo" just annoys me. It just messes up my rhythm, so to speak. So, the SpeedBox would help with that. The Acrylic platter isn't a high priority, I manage the static issue just fine but still something to consider. I'm also wondering if getting a Spin Clean would be a good idea so I could save some money to use towards upgrading more components. Just noting my set up is, Debut Carbon ---> Yamaha AS500 Integrated ----> Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s (Again, surprising I know.) 

Anyway, sorry that was a bit of a ramble. Just looking for some more knowledgeable input.

Given the choice I would go for the Cambridge phono stage over the Project but I'd go for the better one the 651p or better still a Musical Fidelity.

That's my personal preference though so best advice is go and listen if you can as you may not agree.

Thanks for the input! Might just purchase both with the CC for comparison then return the one I like least. Don't have any dedicated HIFI stores around me unfortunately. Anyone else with input on allenh's recommendations or anything else I asked about is greatly appreciated. 

I had a discostat which is the same as a spin clean and then bought a vacuum machine afterwards, the discostat just doesn't do as good a job as it runs the risk of leaving stuff on the record and I have heard the same about the spin clean.

It does depend on how many records you have as well though as to whether a vacuum machine is a sensible investment.

It does depend on how many records you have as well though as to whether a vacuum machine is a sensible investment.

that's the main reason why I guestion my need for a vacuum cleaner. I haven't catalogued my whole collection but I'd estimate it in the 400 range give or take. Don't k ow if that's worth getting a vacuum cleaner or not. My collection is continually growing and it's definitely not a fad thing for me so I don't ever plan on stopping. So the other side of me says screw it, why not invest in something quality that will last me a long time and is affordable to boot?

Like everything in hifi it is all about personal choice, I bought mine at about the 3500 records mark and was sceptical but I wished I'd done it sooner as it beats all the cheaper cleaners hands down, a lot is down to the fluid you use obviously but in my experience the vacuum just does a better job.

That said the most effective record cleaning method bar none in my experience is the wood glue method but it's excessive for the occasional clean, very time consuming and with the obvious risks of making a gooey mess.

3k records. So you've invest at least $10k in records (really underestimating) and you can't justify spending less than $500 on a machine?

Pretty much (and definitely underestimating). After 25+ years all my records are in good shape (despite the fact that I was a club DJ for 15 years) so I just don't see $500 in value there. I've had records cleaned on VPI's at shops and outside of a few special cases I didn't hear enough difference to justify it. Maybe if I was a record dealer...