Abandoning my Crosley (happily)

So, like many other sad souls, I received a Crosley Cruiser record player for Christmas last year. I randomly have played records on it through out the year, but not much until more recently. I've started using it a lot and noticed I don't love the sound (duh). I started googling like a crazy person to find out what I could do to improve the sound. That's when I learned that I have one of the worst players around--period. 

I'm still a broke college kid so I want to upgrade on a budget for now. I think I've decided to try an Orbit basic from Uturn. I'll probably use the phono preamp they suggest on their site (art djpre II) because it is also affordable and has decent reviews. As far as speakers go, I'll be using a couple of Bose speakers my dad has laying around until I find out what's best to invest in. If any suggestions on what I have here, please enlighten me! 

I'm really just getting into vinyl so my record collection is pretty small (10 records) and nothing is rare or that valuable, but I am horrified at the thought of my records being ruined from the cartridge on the Crosley. My birthday is in November and that's when I plan on upgrading to a new player. Should I 100% stop playing my records on the Crosley or will it be okay until then? 

Thanks for any input! I'm pretty new to all things vinyl and record players so I'm sure I sound a little ignorant :) I'm okay with that. It's why I'm here  :blink:.

I'm no expert but since you said you only have a few records and none are irreplaceable I say keep playing. It's only a month.

I think records are a lot stronger than people on the internet like to make out. My parents handled the grooves, played them on a cheap portable turntable and never had any of these fancy spin cleaners and after a quick brush down they play absolutley fine 30 years later.

You do right in replacing it though as soon as you can afford something decent, you want to get the best sound you can (within budget).

I'm no expert but since you said you only have a few records and none are irreplaceable I say keep playing. It's only a month.

I think records are a lot stronger than people on the internet like to make out. My parents handled the grooves, played them on a cheap portable turntable and never had any of these fancy spin cleaners and after a quick brush down they play absolutley fine 30 years later.

You do right in replacing it though as soon as you can afford something decent, you want to get the best sound you can (within budget).

Thanks for the feedback :) ! I need to learn some about cleaning records too, thanks for bringing that up.