Wood panel tall speakers like Rega RS3

1. That's impossible for anyone to recommend a speaker that sounds like another speaker.

2. I'd say 95% of tower speakers are made of wood.

3. You didn't give a budget.

4. Get divorced. Those strict guidelines are a definite red flag.

Jesus Christ.

1. Umm, I'm asking if someone can recommend a speaker that is comparable. I'm not asking for a speaker that sounds like another speaker.

2. Maybe I should clarify - not black stained/painted wood but a natural wood look.

3. Google Rega RS3 and you will see how much they are ($1300 - $1400).  I'm just asking for a lower price point.

4. Based on your current response, you most likely rank in the bottom quartile of the people I'd take relational advice from.

Anyone else care to offer something constructive here?

used Rega RS3?

as stated above, it's hard to make a real  recommendation without having an actual budget versus just "less".  how much less? $1? $500?

Real wood veneer versus vinyl wood print pretty much automatically puts you in the 1k+ range.  Even in the 1k and over range there are plenty of speakers using vinyl versus actual wood.

used Rega RS3?

That or something else from Rega.

Though that depends on if it's the sound or the aesthetics that are the most appealing to you. As a brand Rega has quite a distinctive house sound so if that's what you like then that's where you're money needs to go.

The only cost effective alternatives I could suggest would either be from Kef or Acoustic Energy, that's mostly because I'm in the UK and I'm guessing you are in US so there’s probably more cost effective domestic or far eastern products that might fit the bill.

Real wood veneer versus vinyl wood print pretty much automatically puts you in the 1k+ range.  Even in the 1k and over range there are plenty of speakers using vinyl versus actual wood.

If it's the aesthetics that appeal then sadly real wood requires a lot more craftsmanship and therefore that’s a rule that you are not going get around.

4. Get divorced. Those strict guidelines are a definite red flag.

Lastly I agree with ajxd on this one, it worked for me but then my finely tuned sarcasm detector is also fully functioning.

Thanks guys, that is helpful. I see Kef has some white speakers... Those might work. How do the Q500s or Q700s sound?

No sound impressions but be aware that online pricing on those speakers tend to be for a single speaker.  Basically puts you in the price range of the Regas.

Okay, back again.  Thanks to a combination of this thread and the sticky, I've narrowed my selection down to the following criteria:

1. Floorstanding speakers

2. Wood-colored finish (i.e. "cherry", etc.)

3. Budget $500 - $800 for a pair

I don't have the system purchased yet, but it will be something like the following:

1. Rega RP1 turntable

2. Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Preamp

3. An AV receiver that will be dual-purpose for the TV, movies, etc., as well as the turntable

4. I already have 5.1 surround sound speakers, but they are homebuilder quality and built into the ceiling... thus, the floorstanding speakers will likely be for audio only (for now the turntable and digital music).  I'm guessing that these ceiling speakers won't sound that hot for audio, but I will probably give them a shot first

Any recommendations would be welcome... thanks again.

The Q500 and Q700 are both very competent speakers and most Kef speakers that use a version of their dual concentric main driver do a good job but yes I'm guessing pricing in the US is going to be an issue.

Cambridge do a reasonable range of speakers over here but I'm not sure if they are available in the US also Q acoustics the same.

I don't know what AV you are going for but the rest is very British is there a reason you're going this way?

I'm biased so think it's the only way to go but being in Dallas that's going to be more expensive for you I'm guessing.

As to the in ceiling speakers I know the Kef product are pretty good for that sort of thing but as a rule I would expect those that are good at in car HiFi would be good in that area.

Musical sounding AV amps I have always struggled with but there is a some good knowledge on this board in that area so you should get some good suggestions there.

To my mind if you want to keep the British sound and stay musical you only have two options there which are Cambridge or Arcam but both I would expect to be very expensive in the US with Cambridge being the more musical. The only other nicely musical AV amp I have owned was a Rotel but I'm sure there are other options here that someone will be able to advise on.

Thanks guys, and thanks Tardcore for finding those two sets of speakers!!  

I'm not particularly stuck on British manufacturers... I'm just mixing in what I've heard or read about combined with price point.  I don't think my AV receiver will be particularly high end (I'm looking at a Marantz SR5008 from another recommendation from Tardcore) as it will double-up as our family room receiver for movies, etc.  I'm sure over time I will refine this or maybe find an integrated amp separate from the AV receiver, but I'm just getting my foot in the door at this stage.

Allenh (or anyone else), I'm happy on recommendations against my current setup listed above... restated below.  This is just my entry level setup to enjoy vinyl records - I'm expecting refinement over time :)

1. Rega RP1 turntable (possibly with the performance pack upgrade depending on how the budget falls out) - $450/$640

2. Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Preamp (maybe the 651 for $80 more... not sure yet) - $140/$220

3. Marantz SR5008 receiver that will be dual-purpose for the TV, movies, etc., as well as the turntable - $400

4. I will give the ceiling speakers a shot, but I'm 95% confident they will sound like crap as they are homebuilder quality.  Thus, I may follow up quickly with some floorstanding speakers - $0/up to $800 maybe

Best case scenario, I'm looking at about $1000, most expensive case, about $2000.  I'm receiving a Christmas/Birthday present of cash towards this system (my bday is the 26th), so the budget will hinge on what that dollar figure comes out to be.  I think it is safe to say up to $1500 is definitely a go, maybe up to $2000.