Vinyl Styl Record Cleaner vs. (original) Discwasher

Bought a Discwasher off Amazon and the results so far have been underwhelming. Heard some good stuff, even though the reviews have been somewhat generic. Don't really see much of anything sticking to the record brush, and I wouldn't say my records are terribly clean. Might return it since I'm a bit dissapointed, but what do you guys think of it, if you've bought one? Was thinking of getting an old school Discwasher since those are deemed as "old reliable". Thoughts?

One thing it won't get rid of is all the static that sounds every time a certain instrument plays. I'm pretty sure it said on the page it doesn't remove static removal though. What's the best and easiest way to get rid of this pesky static inside the grooves? 

Record cleaning machines are vacuums, typically. I've seen DIY methods for that. Google DIY record vacuum, there's a lot of instructionals out there.

Proper record cleaning machines contain the vacuum and a rotating platter to do the complete clean and vacuum but as ajxd says there are diy versions along with one or two you can build from a kit with some using a domestic vacuum cleaner to provide the suck.

if wet vacuum clean is the only way apart from PVA you can know you are removing crap rather than either just moving it about or letting it dry in place.

I use a thing called an Okki Nokki but there are all sorts of them, the one I would buy though if I could spare the money would be a Loricraft PRC variant

What exactly do you mean when you say use a vacuum? Are there literal attachments you can stick to a vacuum to dry a record after a wet wash? That'd be amazing honestly. 

Might be frowned upon around here but I bought a $25 shop vac from walmart and some velvet and rigged up my own. Only used it on a few old beat up records to try it out at first and the results were good. No more junk all over the needle and a couple records I had that were pretty bad with cracks, pops, and surface noise seemed to be tamed. Total cost was like 40 bucks. 

Might be frowned upon around here but I bought a $25 shop vac from walmart and some velvet and rigged up my own. Only used it on a few old beat up records to try it out at first and the results were good. No more junk all over the needle and a couple records I had that were pretty bad with cracks, pops, and surface noise seemed to be tamed. Total cost was like 40 bucks. 

You should share pictures of your DIY machine sometime. This all sounds really interesting. Until I can drop the money on a legit machine, I could probably rig something up to work for myself at the moment. 

You should share pictures of your DIY machine sometime. This all sounds really interesting. Until I can drop the money on a legit machine, I could probably rig something up to work for myself at the moment. 

It's a pretty simple design, I've seen plenty of them shared around /r/vinyl. Basically you just need a wet vac, then buy some PVC cut a slit in it the length of a record from edge of label to edge of record, and coat the surrounding slit in a fabric like velvet or felt that won't hurt your record as it slides across it. Now attach the pvc to the hose of the vacuum and voila. 

edit: lol here is someone selling something I just described in $1 in materials for $30 on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Vac-Record-Cleaner-Vacuum-Wand-Use-Your-Own-Vacuum-On-33s-45s-78s-/310643011047

Mine still needs some work but there are plenty posted online with instructions, and pictures taking you through the process. Just google DIY record cleaning machine