What's the bottleneck here? What needs upgrading?

I have a relatively nice hifi setup, but something is making it just sound kind of "meh". Here are my parts

Receiver: Marantz 2225 

Speakers: Technics A30

EQ: Panasonic SH-253

Turntable: Pioneer PL-7

Cartridge/Needle: Shure M44G

What here is my "meh" part that needs upgrading? What should I upgrade it to (vintage)?

Thanks a lot guys! Looking forward to some better audio :P

I listen to a lot of metal. Ive never used EQ. You don't need it with proper equipment.

Do you have any recommendations?

What kinds of metal? My Children of Bodom/In Flames/Slipknot/Anything with a screamy vocal sounds really bad. (please keep the smartass remarks to a minimum. I know a lot of people don't like that style :P)

If you read the stickied thread at the top, it has plenty of recommendations on gear in several price ranges.

I listen to a variety of sub genres of metal. From Classic metal to grind core. Find my trade list on deadformat (same user name) if you're intrigued!

I'd prefer vintage gear. More for the money and I've never used New gear so no idea if I like it.

I listen to a ton of (mostly death) metal, grindcore, thrash punk and tons of genres that are nothing but screaming on would never EQ anything. I would say personally I think the cartridge should be your first upgrade, but if you go down that route I wouldn't really recommend putting a more expensive cart on that table. So if you can save up, I think a new turntable and cartridge (and losing the EQ as ajxd suggested) will make a huge difference for you.

If you must though, upgrade the cartridge by itself. It'll still have a big Impact on your sound and help with what I am assuming is distorted high-frequencies that your M44 produces. As far as recommendations, check out he beginners guide on the forum page, there should be some cartridge recommendations in there.

Also to counter ajxd, I run a Pioneer PL-550 and it's my favorite and best sounding table I've ever owned, and it's never been serviced (although it spent the vast majority of its life in storage). I've even auditioned higher-end ($1500-2000) turntable options and I still prefer the 550 over all of them. Vintage is not always a bad thing, you just need to either find something that was well-cared for or befriend someone who does restoration/servicing work.

I listen to a ton of (mostly death) metal, grindcore, thrash punk and tons of genres that are nothing but screaming on would never EQ anything. I would say personally I think the cartridge should be your first upgrade, but if you go down that route I wouldn't really recommend putting a more expensive cart on that table. So if you can save up, I think a new turntable and cartridge (and losing the EQ as ajxd suggested) will make a huge difference for you.

If you must though, upgrade the cartridge by itself. It'll still have a big Impact on your sound and help with what I am assuming is distorted high-frequencies that your M44 produces. As far as recommendations, check out he beginners guide on the forum page, there should be some cartridge recommendations in there.

Also to counter ajxd, I run a Pioneer PL-550 and it's my favorite and best sounding table I've ever owned, and it's never been serviced (although it spent the vast majority of its life in storage). I've even auditioned higher-end ($1500-2000) turntable options and I still prefer the 550 over all of them. Vintage is not always a bad thing, you just need to either find something that was well-cared for or befriend someone who does restoration/servicing work.

An eq is only there to mask problems elsewhere so no you shouldn't need it regardless of what you listen to.

The M44 is perfectly good but possibly not up to what you are asking of it also how old is the stylus?

ajxd and yanquiuxo are both sort of right on Pioneer turntables and vintage kit in general, this is because a company like Pioneer makes and has made all the way down to utter cack and all the way up to stunning. The PL-7 is average at best and the PL-550 is the dogs wobbly bits. Take something like a Debut Carbon and a PL-550 and the 550 if in good condition will eat the DC for breakfast in every measure you can name.

My advice get a better cart or at least a new stylus, get rid of the Eq, and get new speakers as your speakers probably have tired drivers and crossover caps and speakers are the one place things have really improved in regards to quality and manufacturing tolerances etc and the other place in the chain apart from the stylus that suffers most with wear.

Vintage kit can be great and there is really nothing new in hifi although the marketing men would like to convince you otherwise, as you say more bang for your buck but time does have an adverse effect so that is only really true once you are higher up the tree than the run of the mill crap as the good stuff tends to get less abuse 

Do you have any recommendations?

What kinds of metal? My Children of Bodom/In Flames/Slipknot/Anything with a screamy vocal sounds really bad. (please keep the smartass remarks to a minimum. I know a lot of people don't like that style :P)

This will be cartridge or speakers and most likely a combination of both but I'd hazard a guess at speakers mostly