Concert Earnings and Attendance

So for some time now theprp.com has been posting stories about concert earnings and attendance; here's the most recent one as an example:

http://www.theprp.com/2015/05/06/news/earnings-attendance-from-system-of-a-down-marilyn-manson-e-town-concrete-mastodon-etc-shows/

They're derived from a most genre-encompassing report on Billboard:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscore

Anyone else fascinated by these?  I've always been interested in film box office numbers, but this is even more fun to pick apart as you can sort of gauge the popularity of different styles of artists from region to region.

I also find it interesting how vastly different the max capacity is for the same venue from show to show.  Anybody know what goes into determining that?  

I also find it interesting how vastly different the max capacity is for the same venue from show to show.  Anybody know what goes into determining that?  

what venues are you looking at?  arenas will close off entire sections, which lowers the ticket sale capacity.  It also depends on stage setup, equipment/gear.. and also some venues have multiple staging areas, so you could have a 500 cap room, 1500 cap room and a 4000 cap room all within one facility, all under the same venue name.

what venues are you looking at?  arenas will close off entire sections, which lowers the ticket sale capacity.  It also depends on stage setup, equipment/gear.. and also some venues have multiple staging areas, so you could have a 500 cap room, 1500 cap room and a 4000 cap room all within one facility, all under the same venue name.

Yeah, I understand it for larger venues.  In particular I'm looking at a venue I've frequented dozens of times over the last decade, Starland Ballroom.  I've never been to a show there where any section was actually blocked off, however depending on the show the capacity is listed anywhere between 1,000 and 2,000+.  I'm curious if they modify the 'capacity' based on the ticket sales...

its probably based on anticipated turnout, the promoter/agent probably negotiate what a "sellout" sits at, the room has the legal capacity for 2034, but for "smaller" (LOL) tours, 1,000 is probably more than enough.  Promoters also budget differently for staff and everything based on ticket sale potential, so a 2000 cap room would require more staff than 1000 cap room, even if they're in the same room.

its probably based on anticipated turnout, the promoter/agent probably negotiate what a "sellout" sits at, the room has the legal capacity for 2034, but for "smaller" (LOL) tours, 1,000 is probably more than enough.  Promoters also budget differently for staff and everything based on ticket sale potential, so a 2000 cap room would require more staff than 1000 cap room, even if they're in the same room.

That is exactly the sort of insight I was looking for - much appreciated.