Connecting sub to receiver (no TT involved don't worry)

Home theatre related question.

I'm most likely picking up a used set of PSB 5.1 speakers. I'm super confused about how to connect the sub to the receiver. Here is a picture of the back of the sub, and my receiver is a Yamaha RX-V377

I've tried doing some research about hooking up an order sub to a newer receiver but most subs I've found answers about only seem to have one set of RCA inputs on the back, where you'd use something like this

Just plug a single sub cable into the right or left input. It really shouldn't make a difference, but it might specify one or the other in the manual.

I checked the manual and I was confused at first but now I think I've got it. It suggests using that Y cable and hooking it up to the "input from preamp" on the sub. It won't use the sub's crossover, which sucks, but it's the only option I've got for now. Thanks for the help.

So your sub is actually quite versatile when it comes to connections, which could give you different results. You can hook it up using a sub cable or audio interconnect, which would go from your receivers pre out or sub out. This way will allow the use of the crossover in the receiver. You can use both RCA ins, but unless each input uses its own circuitry and amp, you won't gain anything from just using one input on the sub from the sub out (or .1) on the receiver. If you use the L and R pre amp outs you'll want to run both to avoid loss of audio when sound is hard panned. Make sure to set up your receiver to use small satellite speakers and a sub. with an appropriate crossover frequency if it's adjustable on receiver.

The other way is to use the L and R speaker outs on the receiver and run speaker wire to the high level ins on the sub. This will allow use of the crossover network in the sub. You would then run the speaker wire from the sub to the front L and R speakers. Make sure to set your front L and R speakers to Large or Full Range on the receiver so the signal bypasses the receivers crossover network.

I'm sure PSB recommends one way or the other, and based on the sub design, I'm guessing it's option two.