Looking for an Integrated Amplifier

Allenh, i'm still on my hunt for an 8004 and think i have found one on Canuck Audio Mart, but before I pull the trigger I was wondering your thoughts on Integrated amp with phono stage (all in one) vs. buying an integrated amp and a separate phono stage pre-amp. I saw in a couple threads up a dude bought a CA 351a and CA 551p combo (which amounts to about $450 online). I know they say having these two components separate is generally better, and as I imagine it gives you more room to grow since you can upgrade the Amp and Pre-amp separately as you go. Worth looking into or stick with the 8004?

Horses for courses, yes generally an off board phono stage will be better but obviously if you are using a $9.99 one from Amazon or ebay then the built in one in your Marantz will be way way better and as tardcore says it's not just an afterthought in this particular amp. Also again as tardcore says If you buy an amp that has a built in phono stage you always have a reference from where you can say for sure whether your separate phono stage is better or not and if you want to use a separate phono stage with an amp that has a built in one you still can as you just plug it into one of the unused line level inputs like aux, cd, tape or tuner etc.

You can go all high end then and run a turntable into your on board phono stage with an MM cart for your cooking vinyl and another with your exotic MC cart on it into your separate phono stage for your audiophile vinyl

Horses for courses, yes generally an off board phono stage will be better but obviously if you are using a $9.99 one from Amazon or ebay then the built in one in your Marantz will be way way better and as tardcore says it's not just an afterthought in this particular amp. Also again as tardcore says If you buy an amp that has a built in phono stage you always have a reference from where you can say for sure whether your separate phono stage is better or not and if you want to use a separate phono stage with an amp that has a built in one you still can as you just plug it into one of the unused line level inputs like aux, cd, tape or tuner etc.

You can go all high end then and run a turntable into your on board phono stage with an MM cart for your cooking vinyl and another with your exotic MC cart on it into your separate phono stage for your audiophile vinyl

Oh......That's how you make those record bowls...you actually have to cook the vinyl...hmm...

• 3 weeks later...

No direct experience with the PM5005, but I owned the PM5004 and PM6004 before getting a PM8004.

A new PM8005 is obviously out of your price range, but if you keep an eye open, I have seen used PM8004s show up on ebay for basically the same price you would pay for a new PM5005 (I paid $500 for mine).

Received my near mint PM8004 from a nice fellow on Canuck Audio Mart last week, I couldn't be happier with the unit. This thing is way bigger than I expected and it feels very well built. Sounds fantastic! I can already notice major improvements in the stereo image and tightened bass response. Thanks for the feedback everyone.