Trade Etiquette

sherlock

Yea, it's definitely about communication. I've had two purchases from people on boards here and although they didn't go smoothly, no-one got aggitated, as we kept in contact.

Trade Example: I bought a split EP and it never arrived after a month or so of waiting, so I PM'd the dude. He could understand why it never got there, as he sent it out. We waited another couple of weeks, and it showed up back at his door from the customs folk. He fixed it up, sent it again, but it still never got here. I offered to accept a refund worth half what I paid. This way we both lost a little bit, rather than him taking the complete blow of it. He refused that deal, and decided to send me another record in it's place. That got here pretty quickly and the deal was done. Good dude.

done very few trades here coz i'm in UK. shipping and confirmation numbers cost a fortune so its too hard to do. i have traded with xfedaykinx and it went down perfect. he is a total legend. its probably true to say the massive majority of people on here are just as legendary.

easiest thing to do is to trade with people in the country where you are at. minimise costs and trauma if anything goes wrong

KEEP EACH OTHER INFORMED:I'm a really patient person and will wait months and months for something if you keep me informed. If you don't plan on sending until you get your side of the trade due to fear of not getting your stuff LET THE PERSON KNOW, they may be able to provide numerous references for past trades. Also, both parties may be thinking the same thing so nothing gets sent.

DON'T TRADE/SELL IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO SHIP:shit happens, we all know this, but even in the most terbulant times in your life you can find the 30 minutes (this is overkill, I know) of time in order to pack and ship a record. Most USPS now have an automated postage machine that is available 24 hours a day.

BE HONEST: This kind of goes with my first point, but be honest. If there's a delay in shipping it out let the person know. Recently I've had 2 trades happen where the person tells me that it shipped and must have gotten "lost". I've been trading 13+ years and have had 0 things get "lost". It's easy to catch a liar about when they shipped it due to the USPS post office date stamp on packages.

GET CONFIRMATION ON PACKAGES: It's $0.75 at most ($0.18 if you print postage via paypal). This is an awesome & cheap way to confirm to the person it was sent. It covers your ass and gives the person you're trading/selling to a bit of assurance that you're not a flake.

Personally, I throw in extra stuff when possible, I work in a record store and have tons of shit in piles that I toss in with trades, it's a nice gesture but not a must.