Stanton T92USB vs Audio-Technica AT-LP120

I will soon be purchasing a new turntable and have narrowed it down to the Stanton T92USB or the AT-LP120.

The Stanton T92USB is a little more expensive. Both tables are direct drive and 3-speed and have built-in pre-amps, all a necessity for me.

Which one of these tables would you recommend? What would be the biggest difference between them?  I am leaning towards the LP120 but the Stanton would be cool because I can get it locally rather than ordering it online. Is it worth the extra cost though?

Thanks for any replies.

On balance the AT because it has adjustable VTA but as long as the Stanton is the S shaped arm version there will be very little in it sound wise especially if you are using the built in phono stage (pre amp), if the Stanton is the straight armed version then the AT wins easily though.

They are both of a similar standard and aimed at the same market but neither are getting into HiFi territory so provided they are both S shaped arm ones I'd go with the AT, Really though it's whichever one you can get the best deal on or prefer the look of

I snagged an LP120 today for $170...amazed I got such a deal.  This turntable sounds so beautiful compared to the Crosley.  Right now, I have it hooked into my home theater system, but I plan on getting a proper set of hi-fi speakers down the road.

Quick question though.  What is the optimal weight and anti-skate?  I had 1.5 grams of weight and 1.5 anti-skate and I was having skipping issues, but at 3 grams and 3 anti-skate my records play well.  Does that setting work, or am I damaging my records with that much weight?

It depends what cartridge is in it. If it's the standard cart then you can find out from the AT website otherwise google is your friend.

Either way your anti skate should generally be the same as the tracking force and I would expect the tracking force to be between 1.5 and 2g but as I say you need to check.

Also when you say proper hifi speakers do you mean passive speakers and an amplifier or active speakers as there is a difference and some (myself included) don't class active speakers as hifi.

If it's the original cartridge it is an AT95 and optimally should run at 2g weight and 2 anti-skate. Having had that turntable previously I can say that setting the weight without a proper scale was, at best, somewhat close. Take the money you saved on the table and get one of the $25 Shure scales from Amazon and make sure it's set properly. Also, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the cart is properly aligned. Download a protractor from vinyl engine and set it up right. I've used both the stupid protractor and the technics arc protractor and had good results.