Anyone familiar with Goldring cartridges?

I'm currently looking for a new cartridge for my Rega RP3 because I'm sick of the Elys 2 that it came with. The dealer I'm buying from sells Goldring so that's what I'm looking at.

I can get a pretty good deal on the 2300 as he's selling it "used" because he tried it out for around 20 minutes. There's very few reviews of Goldring carts for some reason so I'm hoping someone here's used one before.

What's the problem you are having with the Elys? And what does he want for this used Goldring?

The Goldring 2300 is a perfectly good cartridge although at the price point of a new 2300 I think there is a fair amount of competition. It should be an upgrade over an Elys 2 but it's not outstanding so I can't necessarily see it being a huge improvement over a cartridge that's designed with your particular arm and table in mind.

I'd want to hear it first to see whether I liked it before handing any money over.

The IGD on the Elys is frustrating. Albums without it sound okay, nothing special, but so many albums have IGD it drives me mental. I've checked the alignment, he's checked it, but I just can't get rid of it. I'll take an album with IGD and play it on my other turntable with a 2M Blue and there's no IGD at all. 

I can get the 2300 for $340 Canadian. Since it's used he said I can try it out and if I don't like it he'll just give me my money back. Other options are the 2500, 1042 or I could move up to a MC like the Eroica. 

If he's going to let you try it before you buy it, I don't see the harm in going for it. I see a few reviews of it on other forums, and people seem to like it.

This one being used should be pretty much broken in so give it a go, you really have nothing to loose and if you like it problem solved.

I will say though if you can't align a Rega cart in a Rega arm mounted on a Rega table without IGD then either the alignment you're using is wrong or there's something wrong with the cart.

Try aligning for the inner point only or just aligning by ear using trial and error, if you still can't get it where you like it then just accept there's possibly something wrong with it.

• 1 month later...

Alright so he sent me the 2300 and the MintLP best tractor. Set it up and WOW. Even without being broken in it walks all over the Elys 2. So now I want to go even higher up the Goldring chain and be done with any upgrading for a few years. I'm between either the GL 2500 which is MM or the Eroica LX which is MC. MC carts are new to me so I'm hoping someone can help me out. Here's what my phono stage (Moon LP3) says:

End-user adjustable impedance loading (100 and 47k ohms).
End-user adjustable capacitance loading (0 and 100pF).
End-user adjustable gain settings for moving magnet (40dB) and moving coil cartridges (60dB). 

And here's the specs of the Eroica LX

I'm guessing they should work fine together?

• 4 months later...
On 5/18/2016 at 11:19 PM, dethrock said:

Alright so he sent me the 2300 and the MintLP best tractor. Set it up and WOW. Even without being broken in it walks all over the Elys 2. So now I want to go even higher up the Goldring chain and be done with any upgrading for a few years. I'm between either the GL 2500 which is MM or the Eroica LX which is MC. MC carts are new to me so I'm hoping someone can help me out. Here's what my phono stage (Moon LP3) says:

End-user adjustable impedance loading (100 and 47k ohms).
End-user adjustable capacitance loading (0 and 100pF).
End-user adjustable gain settings for moving magnet (40dB) and moving coil cartridges (60dB). 

And here's the specs of the Eroica LX

I'm guessing they should work fine together?

How did you make out? I've tried a few different carts on my TT but none have sounded as good as my Goldring 1012GX...considering upgrading to the D44 stylus which turns it into a 1042 (http://www.lpgear.com/category/GOLD.html)