Cold World "Dedicated..." Pre-ordering launched

Media Mail:

It's a delivery option that was created to make the shipment of books and other non-fragile media more affordable. Vinyl as a media doesn't really match up well with the rough way Media mail is treated, never has. Deathwish and our customers genuinely care about what they purchase and how it is delivered to them. Since Media mail is the "cheapest" option, packages shipped this way often become lost or damaged in transit.

I find it interesting that on a vinyl specific message board people still inquire about this shipping option, yet there are also countless threads about horribly packed purchases, damaged/lost purchases, etc. I would think that vinyl collectors wouldn't even think about that option for a shipping option for a vinyl purchase. As a "record collector", I'd rather pay for a "safer" delivery option than risk receiving a damaged item, or even not receiving that item at all.

Just my two cents. Thanks everyone.

-J.

i always ship media mail with tracking, it's $4 or less, and i've never once had a problem with it. if you put it in a LP mailer and sandwich it between a couple pieces of cardboard it works well. virgil does this as well and i've never had a LP come damaged from him.

I hardly ever use media mail, because it's usually similarly as cheap to have it sent first class or priority.

i feel like delivery time is the face value concern here, media mail doesn't always give you the security that your product will be delivered in any sort of time frame that could be deemed professional. i believe the time frame given in the description is 4-6 weeks.

the last time i dealt with a professional company and a 4-6 week policy was in 1996 when i sent in cereal box tops for a harriet the spy book-light, it's 2008, i'm still waiting for it.

so taking into account that the turn around time is potentially harmful (and let's face it, if an individual sends a record and it takes 4 days, people start to bitch) to a customer. add in the potential nightmare and lack of care attributed to mail handlers all over the world, and that media mail is meant for things that can probably sustain a little more damage (as clearly outlined at my post office: books, sheet music, educational cd-roms, and other educational material, it says nothing about records.) it's generally in the best interest of provider and consumer that you pay a little more for a little bit of piece of mind that, barring some catastrophic event, everything is going to arrive as it departed.

not knocking anyone for using media mail, either. when it's cheaper i will use it.