Thinking of getting a Marantz 1060

Hello all, 

I've recently started looking at upgrading my current set up. I currently have a MMF 2.2 going through a Project Tube S Box, which then connects through Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. 

I am looking to get a vintage receiver that will power speakers that I will use only for listening to records. There is a local seller who is willing to sell a 1060 for $275. I have asked to hear the receiver before buying it, and the pictures on the craigslist ad do not show any cosmetic issues. My question is, what should I look for when picking this up and listening to it? Of course the sound quality will be subjective...but are there any specific questions I should ask, for example when it was last serviced, any original parts, etc...?

Furthermore, I have been looking at some Advent speakers. I see that the 1060 has an impedance of 8 ohms. From what I understand, the speakers should match the impedance of the receiver..but I am having trouble finding the impedance of most vintage speakers..could anyone guide me on this? 

Thank you! 

The 1060 is a nice looking amp that sounds pretty good, but $275 is quite high, I'd look for one in the $200 range. A few things to keep in mind:

- You cannot use this amp with your current speakers, so it will only make sense buying it if you're set on buying passive speakers as well.

- The integrated phono stage will sound nowhere as good as you Pro Ject one.

- Impedance is pretty much irrelevant. Most speakers will work well with this amp, as long as they're not too power hungry. There's no exact way to find out just how power hungry they are, but the closest thing is the sensitivity rating (expressed in dB). For this amp it would be best to look for something at least 88dB or above.

- Vintage amps are very fickle, even if the seller insists that it was fully serviced recently, something can still fail at any given time. For the price, you might be better off buying a newer amp, unless you really want to buy that 1060 because of its aesthetics (which is still a very valid reason to buy, that thing is one of the best looking amps made in the 70s)

I was definitely going to buy passive speakers with it. I was originally looking at buying passive Klipsch speakers...but I've read that the vintage ones are the best to be paired with vintage receivers. 

Hm, if that price is high than I am having double thoughts about it. It would be bought locally, so I guess shipping would be saved. Most shipping on ebay is around  40-60 dollars, so it would come out fairly even. 

Also I am glad my Project phono tube s will be better as I spent quite a bit on it, lol. 

I was also looking at the Marantz 2230, but from what I understand the 1060 is very similar to the 2230, just seems to be a watered down version with features. Also, I will only be able to hook up two speakers with it correct? If I wanted to do a 4 speaker set up, it would not be possible? Also subwoofers would not be possible with the 1060, or am I wrong? 

Thanks a lot again!

Go and listen to it and see if you like it before you even think about money.

Vintage amplifiers tend to have a very different sound to modern ones so you need to know you like it and early US made Marantz amps have a distinct sound that is very particular to the brand.

If the price was right you could gamble on it as they always get a reasonable price so if you didn't like it you could move it on but at that price you'd struggle.

Personally I like them and much prefer older amplifiers in general but that Marantz will sound very different to your active speakers so make sure you like it.

I will definitely be trying it out before I buy it. I am expecting it to sound totally different from the powered speakers, and that is what I am looking for. I've watched vids on youtube of people playing vintage receivers...which means nothing, but gives me an idea of the characteristics  I should expect. 

Also here's the ad...if anyone is interested: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/5788443746.html

My first thought is it's way over priced, it certainly doesn't look clean or like it's had a service in a good while but if you like it you can always wave a more sensible amount of cash under the guys nose and then leave him with your phone number, they don't always ring back as it depends on how indignant they feel but it's worked for me on a few occasions.

Yes you need to listen to as much as possible and especially if it's vintage as you need to know what a good one sounds like so that someone doesn't try to sell you a very shiny box of problems.

The same basic rules apply to buying anything old and mechanical or electrical, it's old and might not have been looked after as well as the current owner would have you believe.