Technics SP-10MKII HELP

On 30/10/2016 at 5:30 PM, shuggashack said:

I fell into a NOS still boxed SP-10MK2, I need the base, the arm, and a needle of that caliber. Replacing my 1250mkII, Please direct me in a direction. Thanks

Nice table, well done. What you have there is a broadcast table of very high standard and the only really seriously good table that Technics made. They made some very nice tables but this is way up the quality tree so worth spending some money on

That's the good news but the bad news is finding a plinth for it will be difficult at best. Your best bet would be to find a stone mason who will make one out of marble for you and spend the money to do it properly.

Any decent quality arm will do the job and in use it would have generally been partnered with either an SME or an EMT but anything of that quality will do the job and ideally it needs to be a 12" arm so again spend the money and do it properly. Technics did make an arm for it which is pretty good but not SME or EMT nice and probably harder to find.

And lastly have you got the power supply with it? it's a separate unit and without it the table won't be a lot of use to you.

Thanks - yes - it came with the power supply - everything in the box. I need to get the plinth and tonearm. I will look at the ones you recommended. the 12 inch. I have the 1210 and I thought it was good but i'm not an expert audio guy. I will see what arms turn up - any model you recommend? 

thanks

7 hours ago, shuggashack said:

Thanks - yes - it came with the power supply - everything in the box. I need to get the plinth and tonearm. I will look at the ones you recommended. the 12 inch. I have the 1210 and I thought it was good but i'm not an expert audio guy. I will see what arms turn up - any model you recommend? 

thanks

By 12" I mean an arm that is 12" long, most turntables use arms that are 9" long as in your 1210.

And to be honest the 1210 is average generally but compared to the SP10 it's a different world so if the 1210 is your level I have a feeling you're probably going to need to spend some serious money on high end amplifiers, tonearm/cartridge and speakers to get the best out of your SP10.

I don't know what the rest of your system is so i could be wrong on this but as @AGB suggested you might want to think about selling it on, you will get serious money for it that you could use to upgrade all of your system to a higher level. It's much better to have a system that is all of similar quality rather than having one bit that is stunning as the rest will drag that stunning thing down not it drag the rest up.